Which lathe? (Opening a can of worms here!)

pgmrdan

Registered
Registered
For doing smaller stuff like fishing lures (Mepps style metal spinner bodies), reloading accessories, jewelry, etc. which would you prefer; mini-lathe, Taig, or Craftsman/Atlas 6" x 18"?

If you want a reasonable answer then you need to give us more information. Pics of the things you have in mind might help, along with the largest work you might need to make. Your machining experience background will also be useful.

In general, a Sherline or Taig or small Atlas lathe will allow you to do roughly the same size work but of course, you won't find an Altas in new condition easily. I only have some experience with Sherline machines but can tell you that they are capable of decent precision for such a small and relatively cheap machine.

Bottom line is that we need more info than a single sentence.

I have two 6" Atlas machines and although I do like them and find them a nice size for smaller work, the lures and jewellry work that I envision in your statement might be better served with a Sherline. I've never used one, but from what I've heard their game is more precision whereas the Atlas game is more just a small size. Nothing against Atlas -- like I said I am fond of mine -- but I just see the Sherline as a better match.

As Mikey said, more information and maybe a photo or two would really help to see what you're wanting to make.

-frank

Of the reasonably priced mini-lathes Sherline is without a doubt the most user friendly use it right out of the box of the mini-lathes. It also has the best support with a huge variety of tooling readily available.

That does you no good if you want to make things bigger than 1-2" in diameter (and 2" is really pushing it).

Sure there are much more accurate watch makers and instrument lathes out there if you have deep pockets.

Taig as I understand it is literally a kit lathe, you get parts and put it together that is a big part of what keeps the price down. When I was shopping around for a lathe to make model parts I had several Taig owners recommend Sherline.

You have many more options to consider when you get to the 6-10" size lathe.

The Sherline isn't a mini-lathe but a micro-lathe and wasn't on my list.

The Taig is also a micro-lathe so I'll take that as a recommendation. You may be confusing the non-assembled version of the Taig as a kit. It can also be purchased fully factory assembled for a few bucks more. Neither is a kit any more than any other lathe.

The mini-lathe includes the Sieg family of Chinese made lathes sold under a variety of names, typically with a 7" swing.

So back to my original post.

I'm not much about mini-lathes, so take this for what it's worth. Many mini-lathes and micro-lathes have shortcuts or shortcomings that larger lathes don't. I do understand the space requirements put a limit on the footprint of what you buy...

Recently in our area a Hardinge became available for 2700 - Kanikustan pesos... it is the second in 3 years. That would be the ultimate in accurate, functional lathe for all your needs, and some larger future ones...

Stefan Gotteswinter recently went to and [Edit: Emco, not Enco] lathe, which might be a great example of an accurate but smaller lathe.

Good luck on your search!

"Stefan Gotteswinter recently went to and Enco lathe, which might be a great example of an accurate but smaller lathe."

Emco, not to be confused with Enco. It's an Emco Maximat Super 11 (11" swing) lathe if I remember correctly. Some of the stuff he can do is nearly unbelievable.

oops! sorry about the gaffe!

The Sherline isn't a mini-lathe but a micro-lathe and wasn't on my list.

The Taig is also a micro-lathe so I'll take that as a recommendation. You may be confusing the non-assembled version of the Taig as a kit. It can also be purchased fully factory assembled for a few bucks more. Neither is a kit any more than any other lathe.

The mini-lathe includes the Sieg family of Chinese made lathes sold under a variety of names, typically with a 7" swing.

So back to my original post.

A Sherline lathe has 3.5" swing over the bed, which is the same as a 7X lathe, so it is a mini-lathe. A Sherline lathe, with the right tool, will take a 0.050" deep cut (for a reduction in diameter of 0.100") in mild steel, which is something I challenge any 7X lathe out of the box to do. A Sherline lathe will run precisely right out of the box, whereas a 7X is a kit that must be modded to run decently and it still will not approach the precision of a Sherline lathe. Very few Chinese 7X lathes ever make it into prototype laboratories but Sherlines do. Sort of makes you wonder about the value of this micro vs mini classification, don't you think?

I own a Sherline lathe and an Emco Super11 CD lathe. Both are fine lathes but for small precision parts I prefer to use the Sherline.

On the other hand, there are tons of Chinese mini-lathes and midi-lathes and bigi-lathes out there. Take your pick.

Back