Which Lathe After Considering Options...?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking at metal lathes in the 22+ range. Grizzly is about 3.75 hours away from me and have the 10x22 G0602 which has gotten good reviews. Then there's Penn Tool that's about 20mins away and they have a Shop Fox 10x26 M1099 lathe. Shop Fox is somehow related to Grizzly and probably made in the same factory, like most of the Asian machines. Here's the thing: I hate having large items shipped. Once from the factory to the retailer is already too much shipping IMO. ;) So what this means is if I drive to Grizzly and pick up the 10x22 it'll be around $1400 including tax, gas and tolls. If I have Penn Tool get the Shop Fox 10x26 it'll cost $1600 including taxes and gas. The Shop Fox has all the same features as the G0602, including same threading abilities, but with a 4" longer bed. I do have some 1/2" cold rolled pieces that are roughly 2' long that I'd like to knurl. I've heard knurling is pretty hard on a lathe, so I don't know if I should fit the pieces on the 10x22 thru the spindle for doing knurling. So considering both machines, how they would be obtained, and their respective costs what would you do?

Last edited:
That's a tough one. Personally, between those two, I'd probably go with the Shop Fox. You get an extra 4" in bed length and save a couple tanks of gas and several hours driving time which makes up for the $200 difference.

As far as knurling goes, it doesn't have to be hard on your lathe. With a standard "bump" type knurler (pic) there is a lot of force applied by the tool post as you are using the cross slide/post to force the knurling tool against the work. Some say it's hard on the lathe while others consider the forces to be trivial.

Now, there are other types of knurlers such as the scissor or clamp (see pic) types.

These tools apply the force to opposing sides of the work and take the force off of the tool post. There are also "cut" type knurlers that cut instead of press into the work and supposedly take much less force to do the job but they are a little pricey.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Build or buy the scissors type knurler and you won't have to worry about the usual side force of knurling. Good luck with your decision and purchase.

Go with the long bed and use the scissor type holder and don't look back.

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the Shop Fox from Penn Tool too but wanted some further thoughts on the matter.

Ron, I already have the "bump" type of knurler care of the AXA wedge-type qctp kit from PhaseII I bought the beginning of this year when I thought I was going to get a lathe first. Think it was from Enco when they were having it on sale. Anyway, I'll try the bump type since I already have it and see how it goes.

You can always use the wheels from the bump knurler and make your own Camjack Knurler. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/3533-Camjack-Knurler?highlight=knurler

It's a fun project and is the most powerful knurler I know. (But then, I'm a bit biased.) It adds no side pressure to the spindle.

Thanks Mike! I just tool a look at your knurler(boy does that sound funny! :p and once I get the lathe will try making one. That's a helluva knurler! Like a Franken-knurler. :)

I like the wholesale tools precision bench lathe, large through hole, power cross feed, 23 between centers 11 swing over bed , 2 1/4 8tpi chuck
It is a bit more money but a lot more lathe ( I dont own one It's on my wish list ) $2195.00
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...ench+Lathe+(WT)&update_continue_shopping=true
steve

Yeah, she's a purty beasty :) but that ain't gonna happen, Steve. I don't have the $ for the lathe and the beer tab for my buddies' help getting it into the basement. :p

Back