Where to source practice blocks?

Mario

Registered
Registered
Just got into metal machining by purchasing a mill and a lathe.
Now I'm trying to source practice materials in both metal and plastic variety to test and play with.
I don't have any projects in mind, just looking for random selection of square and round stock in plastic, aluminum, mild steel and possibly brass or even stainless steel.
I checked with few junk yards in Albuquerque area but that was fruitless.

Any recommendations for online places that sell drops or kits?

Plasti Blocks is a sponsor on this site. I've purchased PVC rod them

Hello Mario
Welcome to H-M. There is a great group of very knowledgeable members here that are always ready to answer questions and help you wisely spend your money.
As for material I’ve been buying from “steeldawg9061” on eBay. Great prices and will combine ship and his shipping is very reasonable to start with.

xometry aluminum remnant boxes are fun. Old farm equipment has lots of shafts etc for lathe. Since you mention ABQ, military surplus sales sometimes have some interesting finds.

I ask in local machine shops or fabricator shops if they have any drops or scraps for my hobby I can buy.
Always cheap and sometimes free.
I get most of my aluminium plate and bar this way.
One of the fab shops stuck up a sign after I went in the first time offering this service as he hadnt thought of it before.

Hi and welcome.

I'm with Savarin, make friends with your local machine shop owners. Not only are they a good source for drops (don't call it scrap) but they are a great resource when you need something done that your machines can't handle. Be patient with them since they are sometimes under a time constraint but if you get one on a good day they'll share a wealth of info.

Cheers,

John

Its also worthwhile having a few photos of what you are making as the talking point so they can see what you are attempting to build.

A few suggestions - PVC pipe can be used for lathe practice, to learn thread cutting etc. (I've made a few tools from it too, seal pushers, assembly spacers...)

Larger bolts from home depot too. steel/brass. - they have steel and aluminum bar stock also (nothing too big)

Also, Cast Iron - I've used fittings from the plumbing dept. to make seal or bearing pushers, or spacers.

Old Sockets - I have converted into pin spanners (4 prongs in a recess) for motorcycle swingarm pivot nuts or adjusters.

Plastic - aside from PVC, I have in a pinch made parts from those low-end cabinet handles that come on basic furniture, that look like bent rod. (Cut the straight section out and turned/milled)

I haven't tried it, but there are low-temp casting alloys you could use, then melt and recast the chips (I've heard of using hard wax for this too)

Back