Where to purchase?

I've bought over a dozen Mitutoyo products off Amazon. All have been registered with Mitutoyo for warranty and no fakes. Let the old line "if it sounds to good to be true to probably is" be your pricing guide and you should be okay. Rarely purchase off ebay so can't speak on that venue.

I would not trust Amazon, they co-mingle inventory, so you have no idea which vendor put it in the warehouse. Their return policy is very good, so it might be worth taking a chance and seeing if what you get is authentic, if the price is good enough and you are willing to put in the effort to verify it. There are some videos on you tube that show what to look for. Personally I would pay a bit more and buy from an authorized distributor and not even try Amazon.

Another problem with Amazon is they ship out product returns without checking them. I received several items that were used, in one case not even working, so I no longer buy anything from them unless I plan on returning it.

It's really a bummer that we have to be weary of so much fraud everywhere.

Appreciate the thoughts. I would think that packaging would count for/indicate something?. Another thought is that most manufacturers sample their own products from dubious resellers.

Do you guys feel it's safe buying Mitutoyo instruments on Amazon or is there risk of getting a knockoff?
I buy my measuring instruments primarily from these guys.
ideal precision instrument. they have demo/used equipment at reasonable prices that is checked and calibrated
also new of course at good prices. They also do repair.

no association, just a happy customer.

There's a thread on here (I think) that has a link to a Youtuber who shows how to spot fake Mitutoyo products. Like DeadGuyAle says, if it's too good to be true...
Let price be your guide. The really cheap stuff is a knockoff. The real stuff will be priced at about whatever the MSRP is.

Here is the video:
It's 35 minutes long.

Last edited:
I've bought over a dozen Mitutoyo products off Amazon. All have been registered with Mitutoyo for warranty and no fakes. Let the old line "if it sounds to good to be true to probably is" be your pricing guide and you should be okay. Rarely purchase off ebay so can't speak on that venue.
How do you know? Watch Clough42 video.

I purchased a Mitutoyo caliper on Amazon a few years ago. It was actually sold and shipped from Travers Tools. It was at a better price than they were offering the same one through their own website. That and free shipping made it worth it.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see anything from them the last time I checked Amazon.

Last edited:
Back