Where To Purchase Steel Stock

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I want to purchase two 2-foot lengths of hot rolled steel C channel - about 30 lbs total. I'd like to get it from a local supplier because the shipping charge would be almost as much as the material. But I don't know how to find a local supplier. A Google search was not helpful.

How do you all get your material? Are you able to find suppliers near your homes? I'm in the Philadelphia area, which has lots of industry. I think there must be some who has stock near by.

Try this search in Google......... steel supply Philadelphia

I buy most of mine from use-enco.com. Usually when they have 20%off and free shipping. They have free shipping right now.

I have a metal recycler in the next town over that also supplies new steel to what little industry is left. They will cut the new steel to length with an oxy-propane rig.

They also allow me to walk thru the wrecking yard and pick pieces of used metal. The banged-up, painted and sometimes a little bent stuff from the scrap yard is waaay cheaper than new. And many times it is "good enough" for my projects if I just need small pieces.
The problem is you may never know exactly what mystery metal your getting.

Hey I even picked up a "project mill" from their yard........that is still a work in progress.

-brino

See if there is a metals supermarket close to you. They will cut to length and sell small quantities == Jack

I've used speedy metals, online metals, and McMaster Carr for small pieces. I've even used Enco for a few small pieces. For large projects where I'll be getting 500 or 1000 lbs or more I order direct from McNeilus Steel and it shows up a couple days later on their truck. I just have them deliver it to the shop at my employer and I pick it up there and haul it home.

Something else that I used to do was purchase my steel from a local welding shop. Most of them will sell steel, cut to length. As long as there isn't too much extra cutting involved many of them will cut the pieces just the way you want them with little if any extra charge.

Back