Where to mount VFD on my mill

Thanks, hman. I ran more conduit tonight. I have to run one last leg down the wall where the VFD will reside. I hope to have this done by the weekend. Then I’ll have to study how to wire and program the inputs to the VFD. I don’t have a good handle that part but I’ve yet to really dive into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reach out to @mksj.
He was a tremendous help to me when I set mine up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put mine in place of the original switch. I was used to reaching up into that area to control the spindle.

1597205266555.png

In the new version when I went to direct drive, I mounted the VFD on the back of the electrical panel and put the controls on the head.
1597205439387.png

1597205466900.png

I mounted mine on the access panel on the side of the knee column.

You turn the motor on and off with the VFD controls, of course. Either the ones on the VFD, or remote ones you wire up.
In my case, I had to do it like that. The mill has multiple 3ph motors running full time. I use the drum switch to reverse the spindle. If I used the VFD to reverse, the table controls would be backwards, too.
OK, I can see how you need to set yours up that way. Not the best practice, but you gotta do what you gotta do. My major concern with an arrangement like that would be my "instinctive" wanting to reach for the mill switch, especially if in a hurry :)

Back