Where to grind carbide safely

nnam

Registered
Registered
Since I don't have a box hooked up to a HEPA vacuum, I am thinking of grinding it outside. However, that dust will still stay around.
I searched and found this document:

That really makes me nervous doing this. So if the dust goes on skin, it can cause irritation? Does that mean I have to wear some kind of head to toe paint coat? That's not fun at all.

I just finished modifying a buffer to turn it into a grinder with a diamond wheel. But I can't use it yet because of carbide dust concern.
20210227_182233.jpg

20210227_182248.jpg

Last edited:
Put windex on it so that it keeps the dust down and helps it cut better I’ve never had and problems with it irritating my skin, hands are covered by the time I’m done

Those warnings are meant for industrial situations where exposures can be over the length of a work shift. A brief exposure in a home workshop environment is not likely to be a problem. Tungsten carbide is also very dense and particles ejected while grinding will quickly fall to the floor. A mask like the N95 Covid masks should provider adequate protection. As to skin irritation, I have been grinding tungsten carbide tooling for more than four decades and have never noticed any irritation.

Everyone has to make their own decision as to what is necessary as to PPE and environmental protection but personally. I am not concerned about exposure.

Last edited:
Those warnings are meant for industrial situations where exposures can be over the length of a work shift. A brief exposure in a home workshop environment is not likely to be a problem. Tungsten carbide is also very dense and particles ejected while grinding will quickly fall to the floor. A mask like the N95 Covid masks should provider adequate protection. As to skin irritation, I have been grinding tungsten carbide tooling for more than four decades and have never noticed any irritation.

Everyone has to make their own decision as to what is necessary as to PPE and environmental protection but personally. I am not concerned about exposure.
I am very much in agreement with all that you have said; sometimes we read too much!

If you can run drip coolant on the wheel, it would be best. You can use water as long as you oil the table afterwords. Main thing is to keep the dust out of your lungs, that's where it can do the most damage.

I agree with what others have said about skin irritation. You shouldn't have any problems for occasional grinding. Just keep the dust from getting air born or wear a mask.

Best Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
There are much worse warnings about grinding glass--your lungs have no mechanism to get rid of dust that gets in there.

However, many people successfully grind glass (lenses mirrors,...) all the time simply by keeping it wet (dust stays emulsified) and using a hose to blow away the dust and broken down grinding powders. It makes a nice additive for soil,.......

Here's the MSDS. As yo can see the TWA only 5 and the STEL is 10 ,so don't worry about it. You may want to put a paint mask or respirator on
1614548124504.png

Back