Where To Get A Tapered Brass Ferrule?

I would make one from brass sheet, then roll it into a cone and soft solder the ends together. You could also try metal spinning, or even using a wire wrap.

Wire wrap: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/21520
I like the wire wrap, cause I am not that good, yet, with soldering, and spinning metal sounds good, but I have no setup for my wood lathe.

1. Just for fun I Googled "antique tools". There seem to be a goodly number of dealers. It might take some leg (actually typing fingers) work, but you could try emailing a few of them to ask about availability.
2. I know that some woodworkers like to make beautiful wooden handles for various items, and sometimes add brass ferrules. You might try Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. to see if they have something suitable.
3. Wild idea for a homemade one, ala derf ... get a suitably large cartridge case, cut off the ends, anneal it, and form it between male and female MT1 or MT2 tapers. Don't know how close the taper would be, but from your photo, I don't think MT will be too far off.
3 great ideas, I have to try!

Hey Jon, that almost looks like an old Stanley screwdriver. I just saw one very much like it at my local salvage place but neglected to measure the ferrule. It was a nice nickel plated one. If you want to post up the dimensions of what you need I can try to keep my eye open for next time, though.

Another thought I just had was one from a file handle. Seems I've got handles on a few of my files downstairs that have a long ferrule like that, and might be a bit easier to find.

-frank
Thank you for your kind offer and I will take you up on that and post dimensions sometime tomorrow

Hey Jon, that almost looks like an old Stanley screwdriver. I just saw one very much like it at my local salvage place but neglected to measure the ferrule. It was a nice nickel plated one. If you want to post up the dimensions of what you need I can try to keep my eye open for next time, though.

Another thought I just had was one from a file handle. Seems I've got handles on a few of my files downstairs that have a long ferrule like that, and might be a bit easier to find.

-frank
Ok, here are those measurements:
9/16" long
.4085" -.4340"
Thanks
Jon

Bob. That was very well said.

--Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could easily just be turned on most any lathe from brass or steel bar stock. Just use the compound to get the taper right.

But,there are plenty of old screwdrivers you could get for 50 cents at a yard sale and just use it. The original would have been nickel plated steel.

This could easily just be turned on most any lathe from brass or steel bar stock. Just use the compound to get the taper right.

But,there are plenty of old screwdrivers you could get for 50 cents at a yard sale and just use it. The original would have been nickel plated steel.
Thanks George,
BTW,
Good to see you!

Aren't we all machinists here?:) The smallest lathe could do the job.

Back