Where to buy steel plate?

I like the idea of using cast iron table wings! Seems like it would be tough to clamp to? What about using the entire cast iron table saw top, with the wings, And drilling a bunch of tapped holes for fixturing?
Robert
Clamping with standard Kantwist is kind of cramped. C clamps are good. I’m wanting to try my modded Kantwist to see if that’s better. Unfortunately I’d gotten rid of the old cast iron saw top before I got the dawning of using the wings for welding. Makes me wish I would have kept it because I think it would have made a great welding table. I need mine to fold up to store. so having the way it is right now really works for me. I got an insane deal of tubing a while back and I’m going to use some of it for a frame like my FIL’s with the wings as the surface.

Attachments

• 5CC142F7-DAF0-461D-8A79-CD5FDF7AACAF.jpeg
    5CC142F7-DAF0-461D-8A79-CD5FDF7AACAF.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 13
Along with pretty much everything. I've quit playing the game. If I don't have something that will work in my stash (which I usually do) I just do without. The sooner people just say no, the sooner things will change direction. I'm thinking next year will be better. Mike

Yeah. Steel is at stupid prices right now.

It depends on where you’re getting your steel. If it’s stock that’s been sitting it’s reflecting the hike they had to pay so it‘s a price lag. I’d been hearing from my laser cutter every time I made an order the price had gone up. The last order I made last week she told me it had actually gone down. I’m lucky they are like me, trying to make a living, not a killing.

I think it’s weird that as soon as the lockdown went into effect prices started up and nobody started screaming inflation until the new guys got in there.

Cough, say what?

Yeah, I was going to build a new bench for that Rivett lathe from 2" tubing. Just the frame was going to cost around $300 in materials, so its getting a nice sturdy wood bench which so far is still under $100.

Don't know the material you want other than Steel, doesn't narrow it down very much but I would reach out to both of these. You can go online and get a price

Another potential is to ask your local distributor which shops near you purchase the most of that type of material or has purchase most recently then give those fabricators a call to see if they have any drops they want to sell. Often they may have pieces left over from large orders that they would be more than happy to get rid of.

Road plate (the big plates they cover the open holes in road ways with temporarily) is an option as mentioned but generally it is rental yards that have it and by the time they want to sell it, it is pretty warped. But you could reach out to construction rental companies and see what they have. Maybe they have a piece that is damaged on one end. These are often 5x10 foot pieces, but they may have others.

Last edited:
Don't know the material you want other than Steel, doesn't narrow it down very much but I would reach out to both of these. You can go online and get a price

Another potential is to ask your local distributor which shops near you purchase the most of that type of material or has purchase most recently then give those fabricators a call to see if they have any drops they want to sell. Often they may have pieces left over from large orders that they would be more than happy to get rid of.

Road plate (the big plates they cover the open holes in road ways with temporarily) is an option as mentioned but generally it is rental yards that have it and by the time they want to sell it, it is pretty warped. But you could reach out to construction rental companies and see what they have. Maybe they have a piece that is damaged on one end. These are often 5x10 foot pieces, but they may have others.
PaPa,
Online metals was $1,745 plus shipping.

I may do like Aaron suggested, 1/2' X 6" strips.
I've thought of adding a wood base with a sheet metal top.

I see guys on Youtube with these beautiful thick steel tables and just dream.
Certi-Flat has some nice tables. I may take a second look their way.
I just checked them out >$2,000

The issue I’ve always had with bar is that it’s not very stiff, because of the narrow bars. The whole idea is to make it easy to clamp to but doing so makes it much less useful to clamp to. Some of the approaches I’ve seen using channel seem much better in that regard.

Back