Where to buy steel plate?

Blanchard grinding is a good idea if you already have a plate or can get one of the used road plates inexpensively.
May also opt to have it stress relieved then ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with channel is it's harder to clamp to. 1/2 x6" plate would work fine with a center support built into the framework. Some use bolt and nut/lock nut arrangements to get things perfectly level, but for 98% of things I do that would be overkill. Still using using the same old 3x4 or so, temporary thing I threw together 30 some years ago that was based on a crashgaurd off a piece of heavy equipment someone gave me. The plan is to build something nice, height adjustable, and such, but that's probably still down the road a bit.

P1000462.JPG

Check with Reliant Plate out of the bay area. It's been a while since I have bought anything from them ,but there prices were better on sheet metal and plate than any where else. What about the metal supplier in Oroville? They used to be really good ,but I heard they changed hands so I don't know now.

Steel prices are up 115% so you are gonna pay anywhere you find it. I get all my steel from Alro. I made a 1/2”thick 3x5 top welding table about 8yrs ago. Paid $350 for that piece of plate back then

Steel prices are up 115% so you are gonna pay anywhere you find it.
And that is on top of the 100% increase back in the summer. Just priced a stick of 2x2x3/16 20ft. $299 dollars. That is just insane.

I wonder how flat do you need? As a welder, how about buy a couple very used weight lifting machines with 1" plates of steel. Then weld them together. Often steels looks like sharp cut vs rough casting.

It is almost free for a torn up one, with beat up pulley and seat. and you get the square tubing or rectangle tubing for free.

Back