Where is the value ?

Jim F

Registered
Registered
Looks like I need to rid myself of the machines and tooling I have acquired.
The 1947 SB 9C is the one in question, part it out or scrap it ?

Is it worn out or otherwise non-functional?
Lots of people need starter machines, even if not in perfect condition. It should have some value.
If not usable, then others may need the parts.
Post pictures if you can, that would go a long ways to understanding what you have

Parting out will in most cases bring you the most cash. However it can take much longer to get rid of stuff. You may not be able to sell everything. Selling complete machines it is done in one deal. Less cash but way less effort.

It comes down to what you are willing to invest time wise.

On a personal note. I am in the camp if it is a usable machine keep it that way. It will never be replaced.

Cutting oil is my blood.

No one is interested in buying an old change gear machine.

It is usable, just not woth anything as a complete machine.

In order to make my Atlas saleable, I needed to remove all the "extra" stuff and get the machine back to a base configuration. Fact is, nobody is going to pony up $4500 on a well-equipped Atlas. Nobody. Beginners will line up around the block to buy a clean, no-frills $1200 Atlas though. I just have to sell all those accessories separately to make my goal.

Back when I had very little to spend, a change gear lathe was still a lathe. Of course, now I wouldn't touch a change gear machine, but I haven't forgotten where I come from.

No one is interested in buying an old change gear machine.

It is usable, just not woth anything as a complete machine.

It looks like you answered your own question. Start ripping that bad boy apart.

Cutting oil is my blood.

what do you think it should be worth?
Location is everything. Out on the plains it would be worth a lot more in the industrial NE.
BUT shipping must be considered.

Back