Where does it begin? Where does it end?

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
I started chuckling today while I was making some upgrade knobs for my mill, thinking "here I am making things to make the thing I use to make other things better", if that makes any sense!

I bet lots of guys are like me. In between projects I always find excuses to make a new doo dad or improvement to one machine or another. Machining seems to be a self-perpetuating hobby!

I started chuckling today while I was making some upgrade knobs for my mill, thinking "here I am making things to make the thing I use to make other things better", if that makes any sense!

I bet lots of guys are like me. In between projects I always find excuses to make a new doo dad or improvement to one machine or another. Machining seems to be a self-perpetuating hobby!
Yep. I decide I needed more space to accommodate this process. So I'm building a new shop. This turns making things for the tools for the new shop into a multi-dimensional challenge.

Between projects? It seems like that is most of my projects, I can't remember the last time I made something just to make it.

Kind of reminds me of this 80s anti drug commercial.

:grin:

You have plenty of company. I have several projects with rusted parts. One came loose last night. The other 2 get another shot of penetration spray and I move on to another project. Not trying to force things and being patient works out in the long run for me. If I only had one project going I would feel pressured to use more aggressive methods in getting it apart.

I shifted to a project I had been waiting for some time, a CM Lodestar hoist that wouldn't power up or down. Got it working in short order. Really pleased, now to decide where it will be best used.

One of my favorite things to do. Making things so I can make things. Came up with a couple more to add to the list earlier today.

I think it ends when our time is up.

Think of it as brushing up on your skills. My dad was fond of saying "they can never take your education away".

And "yes", you will find multiple threads here where members have spent 10's of hours using thousands of dollars of equipment to make a $0.10 part. As a buddy of mine tells his wife, "if it doesn't burn gasoline or have blond hair, don't worry about it ".

Bruce

. As a buddy of mine tells his wife, "if it doesn't burn gasoline or have blond hair, don't worry about it ".

Bruce
Your buddy and my wife seem to disagree. Not too long ago at a party we attended she told the group that it was Ok if I brought home another woman, just not another lathe. Fortunately I’ve sold one lathe since then so I’m safe.

Back