Where can I get a list of B&S slitting saws.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Most of the slitting saws I got are B&S, and have numbers..
I have been searching the internet, and can't find a reference. I've been to sellers of tooling, it appears that B&S no longer makes them.. as I don't see them from B&S ..

If someone knows where to find the resource, I would be grateful, thanks.

B&S has long been out of business, apparently they have liquidated a whole lot of inventory, there is a lot of it on e bay lately.

B&S has long been out of business, apparently they have liquidated a whole lot of inventory, there is a lot of it on e bay lately.
I thought they were bought and still in business under a foreign entity. Not as B&S... NO?

I took a tour of the North Kingston plant in 1970 with my mom and her uncle who apprenticed there starting in 1914, I think; the tour was on a system of catwalks above the factory floor, it started out on the reception level of the factory, which was at one end of the factory on level ground, likely a good 20 ft. above the factory floor, and there were manufacturing spaces that were level with the catwalks and then there were stairs down the floor at intervals so that management folks could visit the various departments without getting waylaid in other departments. The best thing, I think was seeing the first universal milling machine that they built in the 1860s during the civil war, it was prominently displayed next to the receptionist's desk. The next best thing was the company's cafeteria (huge) where we were served a very nice meal. They were not well represented in the western states and few of their tools were seen here, consequently nearly all my tools were from Starrett until e bay came along.
The company history in the above post is a good read!

On strike for 17 years!

Don't know why, but the #s don't align with what I have. The thickness mostly does, but the diameter does not.
I may have earlier or later than the catalog.

all the BS saws have a key...

I have a few other brands, some of the biggest ones with 3/4 bores do not have keys???
Some of the MTD's have a number 20 or 25 can't remember, but are 3 different thicknesses???

anyway, miked them all, I made holders for the 1/2 and 5/8 arbors.. took pics so I can document what I have so I don't have to go through them.
gotta make 2 new arbors...

The 1/2 arbor will have both a square key 1/8 inch and a round key for the 2 thicker saws that have a half round.

20211018_175705.jpg

Attachments

• 20211018_153350.jpg
    20211018_153350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211018_161337.jpg
    20211018_161337.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
What I see in those pictures are not slitting saws, but are screw slotting saws; slitting saws have much coarser teeth and typically come in bore sizes of 7/8" or larger, and are keyed. Screw slotters are typically smaller bore sizes and are adapted to be used on screw machine slotting attachments.

Back