Where and what brand HSS metric dies (3-14mm) do you buy?

KevinM

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need some good HSS metric thread cutting dies in the 3-14mm range. Most that I have found are either junk (I'm looking at you Irwin) or priced pretty high. A Dormer M3x0.5 die from MSCDirect is $70-$123!! McMasters has all dies in my range for $40 each but they won't disclose the brand. I'm not looking for toolroom precision but would like for them to cut a nice thread. I work with aluminum, brass, 1018, 416SS, A2 and O1.

What brand do you buy and where do you buy them?

Edit: Shars does not have HSS metric dies.

I have really good luck going on ebay for NOS US or USSR made taps/dies. You have to piece together a set, but you can get some really nice stuff cheap.

I have really good luck going on ebay for NOS US or USSR made taps/dies. You have to piece together a set, but you can get some really nice stuff cheap.
Thanks, I'll have a look. I assumed that I would have to piece together what I need.

Hmmmm...........................................:)

When I can’t find high quality dies on eBay (much of which are junk unless you know the specific brand), here is where I go. These are all excellent quality:

If you aren't in a huge hurry , I may just have a few . Give me a few days or a week . lots of stuff going out .

If you aren't in a huge hurry , I may just have a few . Give me a few days or a week . lots of stuff going out .Thanks
Thanks, I can wait.

Everything from McMaster-Carr is a top quality name brand. I haven’t bought any dies from them, but the taps were Widia. For dies, I have been buying TMX from Travers, no complaints on the quality.

Everything from McMaster-Carr is a top quality name brand. I haven’t bought any dies from them, but the taps were Widia. For dies, I have been buying TMX from Travers, no complaints on the quality.
I bought some Travers HSS dies and the threads that they cut are nice and crisp. Thanks for the tip.

Back