When to refill your tanks?

DMS

Active User
Registered
I have been working on the same tank of 75/25 since I got my welder. Currently I am working on a shade structure and the needle on the tank is going down down down. Right now it reads around 700PSI. When do I start thinking about a refill? Do I run it dry, or call it done when it drops to some smaller number?

I have been working on the same tank of 75/25 since I got my welder. Currently I am working on a shade structure and the needle on the tank is going down down down. Right now it reads around 700PSI. When do I start thinking about a refill? Do I run it dry, or call it done when it drops to some smaller number?

As soon as you start noticing odd colors in the arc... You'll know when something just doesn't seem right but, you're not doing anything different.

Ray

you'll have to crank up the flow as you go but you can take it down to near nothing

having multiple tanks makes going empty no a real biggy

I usually change mine out at about 50 psi. The problem is that I also forget to get the spare filled so it is always empty when I need it.

Thanks for the reply guys. I don't have a spare tank right now, so when she runs dry, I'll be stuck till I can get a refill. I do have some flux core wire to try if I run out early ;)

I don't run mine dry, I don't like run out. I'll run it down to 100-200 psi. The inconvenience to runnning out is way more important than a few pounds of gas.

In theory you could run down until the pressure in tank is equal to the pressure you require to weld, but in all practicality, the 50# answer is what I do, unless I am nearing it and going to town in the pickup anyway .... I am sure out of 20 guys you can get 40 answers, but bottom line is that you want to keep a little bit of pressure in the tank to keep moisture out and all of that (in case you forget to shut the valve) .... but it isn't going to work if tank pressure is at the shielding gas pressure (or lower) .... just my 2 cents worth ...

Back