When it comes to Bridgeports, what does "Series 1" mean?

I will do some more research on this and see what I can turn up. You may be right on the firet conclusion. Seems like I ran across that the other day.

"Billy G" :))

Here is a little info on Bridgeport Machines Inc. and it's demise. Now owned by Herdinge.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Bridgeport_(machine_tool_brand)

I have a round ram bridgeport and the manual I downloaded is different than the series one. Belive my machine was built in 1947.

Thanks Billy.

I noticed two things about the manual: It was printed in 2010 & It only addressed the 2J head. This leads me to two conclusions, either or both of which can turn out to be completely wrong.

Either the Series 1 designation is only applied to machines equipped with 2J heads -or- The stepped-pulley 1J heads were no longer being produced in 2010.

Any thoughts?

Harvey[/QUOTE M head 39 to 49. j head 49 to70. 2j head 70 to 89. 2j2 head 89 to present. there is definitely overlap of those figures. My 74, like your 75, is a step pulley. Heads were likely new old stock and were still selling well. I would keep selling them till they were gone too.

I have a round ram bridgeport and the manual I downloaded is different than the series one. Belive my machine was built in 1947.

The thread "[h=2]Bridgeport series one milling machine manual m105[/h]"
has a link to Bridgeport manuals that includes the round ram models.
Jim

The thread "Bridgeport series one milling machine manual m105

"
has a link to Bridgeport manuals that includes the round ram models.
Jim
Series II is like a Series I on steriods. 2,200 lbs vs 5,000 lbs for starters. Series II has much lager head and with DC motor on quill feed. No. 40 spindle vs R8. Integral power feed on X axis on II. II has wider/longer table, more travels, square ways on Y.

The main disadvantage of II is the head is so large that tilting it becomes such a PITA that one is almost never inspired to actually do so. Hence, the Series II "Special" model with II body and I head. Actually more desirable and sought after than the Series II.

Of course just to confuse matters, sometime in the mid 1990's Bridgeport dropped the Series II and only offered the Series II Special....but then since if was no longer "Special" they dropped the "special" in the name and just called it a Series II !!! So, multiple dope slaps to the slackards at Bridgeport for that one, but hopefully this is clear as mud.

Series II is like a Series I on steriods. 2,200 lbs vs 5,000 lbs for starters. Series II has much lager head and with DC motor on quill feed. No. 40 spindle vs R8. Integral power feed on X axis on II. II has wider/longer table, more travels, square ways on Y.

The main disadvantage of II is the head is so large that tilting it becomes such a PITA that one is almost never inspired to actually do so. Hence, the Series II "Special" model with II body and I head. Actually more desirable and sought after than the Series II.

Of course just to confuse matters, sometime in the mid 1990's Bridgeport dropped the Series II and only offered the Series II Special....but then since if was no longer "Special" they dropped the "special" in the name and just called it a Series II !!! So, multiple dope slaps to the slackards at Bridgeport for that one, but hopefully this is clear as mud.
Here is a true series II it is 5400 pds and cost was $54,000 new i was told

monarch ee.JPG 100_1082.JPG

Back