When it comes to Bridgeports, what does "Series 1" mean?

Harvey

Active User
Registered
I've got a '75 model with a step pulley J-head. Is it known as a "Series 1"? It doesn't say that anywhere on my machine but the M105 Series 1 manual that I downloaded seems to match my mill.

Thanks,

Harvey

I've got a '75 model with a step pulley J-head. Is it known as a "Series 1"? It doesn't say that anywhere on my machine but the M105 Series 1 manual that I downloaded seems to match my mill.

Thanks,

Harvey

:anyone:

I have wondered the same thing.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Looks like the "Series 1" refers to the manual machines produced since 1938 (as opposed to the BOSS and other CNC machines). I didn't read the full article at lathes.co.uk, but it may have more info there

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/

That site is a great source of info for older machines.

I know that a Series 2 Bridgeport is a bigger machine but it also says "Series 2" right on it. I was wondering if ALL of the "standard" BP mills were considered to be Series 1 or if that title was applied only to the little BPs after a certain date, or some that might have extra features.

Harvey

I'm putting a 74 series one jhead basket case back together. I got the excellent book " A Guide to Renovating the Bridgeport Series 1 "J" Head Milling Machine. They also have one on the 2j and 2j2 models. they are a wealth of info. Your series 1 will accept a j, 2j, or 2j2 head. The m105 manual appears to match my machine as well. What do you need to know that's not in your book?

All Bridgeport Milling Machines whose Serial Number ends with an "M" are Series 1.

"Billy G" :))

Billy,

My machine's number doesn't end with an M but it seems to match the Series 1 manual that I downloaded. What's the difference between the "non-M" mills and those with the M?

Harvey

Thanks Billy.

I noticed two things about the manual: It was printed in 2010 & It only addressed the 2J head. This leads me to two conclusions, either or both of which can turn out to be completely wrong.

Either the Series 1 designation is only applied to machines equipped with 2J heads -or- The stepped-pulley 1J heads were no longer being produced in 2010.

Any thoughts?

Harvey

Back