When and why to use Armstrong style tool holders?

rockbaron1

Registered
Registered
I have right and left hand tool holders that came with my lathe, they’re actually Williams brand though I don’t think that matters. What’s the advantage to using one of these rather then just sticking a piece of hss in the lantern tool post like I’ve been doing?

If you're talking about the lantern holders , sometimes they'll save your butt because of the extended reach . You can still use them on a qctp also .

With a properly equipped rocker (lantern) style toolpost, the toolholders allow adjusting height without shimming. They also allow adjusting the angle of attack and stickout for getting into those hard to reach places. It seems that many of those toolposts are missing the large dished washer and mating "rocker" that allow the toolholder to be rocked up and down to adjust height.

1713276213521.png

One feature of using Armstong holders is they allow you to get into tighter areas, for example facing up to a center. Think of it as another tool in the box to use when needed.

They are the O.G. insert tool. Easy to sharpen, mount, and install. Good reach and clearance. I gave all mine away to the buyer of my old Atlas 10”, and I've wished a few times that I'd hung on to them for their versatility.

I use my armstrong holders to turn wood in my metal lathe using HSS cutters. works very well!

I also use it for reaching inside grooves, and facing operations above the gap (but only once in 40 years!)

I have my Armstrong holders and lantern tool post carefully stored in a cigar box. I'm patiently waiting for the day I will need them.

I have right and left hand tool holders that came with my lathe, they’re actually Williams brand though I don’t think that matters. What’s the advantage to using one of these rather then just sticking a piece of hss in the lantern tool post like I’ve been doing?
Most lathes I had American Tool post .
I have had take the Aloris because is to big to fit. The American tool post did fit for that job.
Today Aloris does make longer holder that may for most work.

Today the mini lathe does not take a American tool post. I will have deal with it on that day.

Dave

I only have a lantern tool post right now and to be honest it doesn’t bother me for the little work I do on my lathe. I have removed the rocker and use a stack of washers and shims to set tool hight. I find grinding the clearance angle on the bits and inserting the bits level and (mostly) at the same hight every time to be easier and faster then dealing with the rocker. For the time being, this works fine. I guess I just haven’t been in a situation where I needed the reach of one of the Armstrong tool holders. It just seems like by the time you have the tool holder in the tool post the bit in the holder and enough stick out on the holder and the bit you’ve sacrificed a lot of rigidity.

Back