Wheel guard for my tool & cutter grinder

RWL

Active User
Registered
Wheel guard for my tool & cutter grinder

It's not uncommon that when you get a machine, some of the tooling has walked away. A tool guard was one of the things missing for this machine. I had some 5" wheels that needed a guard, so I made one out of a piece of water pipe. The ID is 5". I cut off a 2" segment on my band saw. The regular vise wasn't grabbing it very well, so I added another clamp to hold it in place. After that was done, I took a block of scrap for the lug on top and drilled a 3/8" hole for the stem, and a 5/16-18 hole for the set screw. When that was done, I welded them together.
01 Measruing grinding wheel (Large).JPG03 Sawing the pipe (Large).JPG04 Top lug on pipe unwelded & w-o top hole (Large).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

After the wheel guard itself, I turned to making the bracket that holds it in place. A piece from my old garage door opener was 1x1/4" in cross section, and already had some 3/8" holes in it. Perfect for the base of the bracket. After milling the slot, I drilled the end hole 23/64 and then turned a short segment of the 3/8" diameter stem to be 0.002 over the hole size, and "pressed" them together with a plastic mallet. The T nut was a leftover from a milling machine I sold a few years ago, and needed to be made a little lower to fit the T slot in the angle plate of the K.O. Lee grinder. When the bracket was done, it was time to assemble it.
05 Bracket & T nut (Large).JPG06 Bracket & T Nut - side (Large).JPG07 Wheel guard in place - front (Large).JPG08 Wheel guard in place - side (Large).JPG
I left it as a complete ring which is set back about 1/4" from the grinding face. K.O. Lee made some of its wheel guards that way, so that's the way I made this one. It is a little different, so I may saw the bottom half of it off if I don't like having the wheel completely surrounded.

01 Measruing grinding wheel (Large).JPG 03 Sawing the pipe (Large).JPG 04 Top lug on pipe unwelded & w-o top hole (Large).JPG 05 Bracket & T nut (Large).JPG 06 Bracket & T Nut - side (Large).JPG 07 Wheel guard in place - front (Large).JPG 08 Wheel guard in place - side (Large).JPG

Nice work.

What model KO Lee is that, a BA960?

Nice work. I made my guards from heavy duty aluminium cooking pots.

Paul.
I love the cooking pot idea for a round guard...gotta file that one away in the attic.

RWL, Nice job on the guard.

Re: Wheel guard for my tool & cutter grinder

Nice work. I made my guards from heavy duty aluminium cooking pots.

Paul.

Wow. What a great source of material. I hadn't thought of that, and I can weld aluminum with my TIG welder. I'll have to keep that in mind as I hit yard sales this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work.

What model KO Lee is that, a BA960?

Yup. It's a BA960. It's a full size machine. The BA860 is a little smaller.

WOW !!! Thanks 1000x for that idea about using a cookpot (or the lid) to make a wheel-guard. One of the guard-covers on my grinder disappeared too. Time to go raid the kitchen cabinets... SWMBO has been complaining that I have entirely too many pots anyway.

GREAT IDEA !!!

Very good.... Nice mod -not really a mod but, a necessity!

Ray

Cooking pot idea works great, made several that way.
Ozzie
Started to make one out of a stainless steel pot I bought from Wally World. Got sidetracked and it wound up in the wife's kitchen. Darn!

Back