Whatzit??

planeflyer21

Registered
Registered
Alrighty!

When I picked up my lathe, the seller handed me a box of mostly rusty stuff and said "Here, take this too. If there is anything in it you can use, good. If not then throw it out." Okay!

So this doo-dad was in there. A pinch over 1 1/4" in diameter across the knurling on the steel male side, with 6tpi and a double start thread for a pitch of 3. It is square thread on both the steel and brass.

Knurling is very fine.

First person with the correct answer gets bragging rights!

whatzit1.JPG whatzit2.JPG whatzit3.JPG whatzit4.JPG

Looks like the Jack Screws we used to have when a Screw Machine Form Tool would chatter. Put it under the tool center and jack it up, no more chatter.

"Billy G"

If it wasn't knurled it would be safe to assume it was just to practice cutting square threads. But since it's knurled I would have to agree it was probably made to be a small jack. They do come in very handy.

Starrett jacks are rated for 1000 pounds and have fairly fine V form threads. If both parts were made from a good quality tool steel hardened and annealed this would be one mighty jack in terms of load capacity.

Some kids skool project from years ago. I have several things that my dad did in shop class when he was in high school. I have one that is a pin and box tapered thread he made.

When I was making a lot of steel spinning chucks,I made
copys" of the threads on the noses of the various lathes they would be used on. That way,I'd screw the thread gage into the chuck to be assured it wasn't a thou or 2 too tight to fit the lathe. Saved a lot of trouble as some contoured spinning chucks would be impossible to re chuck after taking them out of my lathe.

Alrighty!

When I picked up my lathe, the seller handed me a box of mostly rusty stuff and said "Here, take this too. If there is anything in it you can use, good. If not then throw it out." Okay!

So this doo-dad was in there. A pinch over 1 1/4" in diameter across the knurling on the steel male side, with 6tpi and a double start thread for a pitch of 3. It is square thread on both the steel and brass.

Knurling is very fine.

First person with the correct answer gets bragging rights!

View attachment 124098 View attachment 124099 View attachment 124100 View attachment 124101
Taking a hint from George Wilson, is it a thread protector and copy of your spindle threads?

Steve Shannon

Back