What's wrong with people these days? RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My county in northern California is a stronghold of the "my body, my rights" mindset when it comes to masks, vaccines, mandates etc. We are among the very highest in the state for cases of covid, deaths etc. With a population of 180,000, we've been averaging over 3 deaths per day for weeks now. You would think something that is killing 3 people per day would would be a headline, but the local TV news just posts the daily statistics with no further mention, then quickly moves on to cover more interesting (crime) stories. Because of statewide increases, the governor has reinstituted an indoor mask mandate. The county board of supervisors is going to ask the state for a waiver! I don't know why they even bother, local law enforcement refuses to enforce any covid related orders. I was in town today, fewer than 10% were wearing masks. Omicron is going to tear through this county like a wind-driven wildfire.

Fortunately, I think the jerks are in the minority. They do make themselves known better than the rest of humanity and it is frustrating/maddening.

People are murdering people at an alarming rate.... BUT, it is better than it used to be 30 years ago. In the USA, for example, it was about 9/1000000 in 1990 but now it is "only" 5/100000 people per year. Roughly 4X the UK and 8X Netherlands and more than double Canada at the moment. (source)

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/murder-homicide-rate

My hair-cutter has zero-tolerance for non-mask wearing. As a result, I feel safer getting my hair cut. They used a couple of small pieces of tape to keep the mask in place as they were snipping around the ears.
maybe the minority, but people feel entitled. Have you seen the number of airline incidents. I think it's a lot greater number than you might think.

Well to be honest guys, I'm real happy to read this thread. Not that it's all about me, of course. But in my neck of the woods, I've been openly mocked by strangers for wearing a mask. I've been told it's made up. I've been told it's no worse than the flu. Oh, and I also had covid. It was remarkably worse than any flu. Although my buddy got it too, and he said it was more like a mild cold. No surprise there I guess. There are some really strong feelings about this topic. But it warms my heart to know that at least someone out there not related to me feels the same.
As for what's wrong with people. The older I get, the less I worry about it. I just do my best, and hope that that's good enough for most people. I'm not worried about the future generations. They're different than my generation for sure. But they'll figure it out. They seem, to me, mostly bright, funny, and happy. And they care about things we never knew needed caring about.
There will always be jerks. I just try real hard not to be one. After all, I'm the only person I have any control over.

The good news is that it should spark up the estate sale action in your area after a while. :grin:

Evolution is great!
It's literally the people who don't believe proving that Darwin was right.

I have a strange view on the current "panic variant of the week (Omicron)". For most people the symptoms are much more mild than the Delta variant. As far as I know, they haven't reported any Omicron Deaths; the deaths we are seeing are the Delta variant. If Omicron confers immunity when caught, it could be the vehicle which gives antibodies for those not vaccinated. For this reason, it is not an entirely bad thing.

First, yes there have been confirmed omicron deaths.

The problem is that this new variant is so transmissible.
So even if it is less deadly (which has NOT been proven yet!) so many more people will get it that even with a reduced complication rate it will still overwhelm the hospital intensive care units (ICUs).

Also, rising infection rates will pull the entire healthcare industry into more over-work burden and "elective" surgical cancellations/delays.
Therefore (completely misnamed) "elective" surgeries like cancer removal and joint replacements will be delayed..... again.

My wife is already being asked to work on her long-planned and well earned vacation days next week at a pop-up booster vaccination clinic.
They are also trying to get her for January and February and she is NOT even on the medical side, but the financial/clerical at the hospital.
They want her to work after her regular 8 hour day shift..... and she likely will agree; she's the most selfless person I know!

I have been closely following Dr. Peter Juni the head of my provincial COVID-19 Science Advisory Table.
Here's a local radio interview from this week:
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radi...ons-coming-soon-ontario-faces-potential-surge

To me, this guy is a rock-star!
....and that's coming from a guy that shuns ALL sports, entertainment or political "fandom".
His mathematical models and predictions have been spot-on for the last couple years.

Don't get me wrong; I sincerely hope that he's is very wrong this time.... but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Stay safe everyone!
Brian

Brino,
I had to look it up. You are correct. They have reported one Omicron-related death in the UK. They gave no details on the person's underlying health condition. But, to the letter of the wording, you are spot on. I always try to admit any errors I put forward.

Well to be honest guys, I'm real happy to read this thread. Not that it's all about me, of course. But in my neck of the woods, I've been openly mocked by strangers for wearing a mask. I've been told it's made up. I've been told it's no worse than the flu. Oh, and I also had covid. It was remarkably worse than any flu. Although my buddy got it too, and he said it was more like a mild cold. No surprise there I guess. There are some really strong feelings about this topic. But it warms my heart to know that at least someone out there not related to me feels the same.
As for what's wrong with people. The older I get, the less I worry about it. I just do my best, and hope that that's good enough for most people. I'm not worried about the future generations. They're different than my generation for sure. But they'll figure it out. They seem, to me, mostly bright, funny, and happy. And they care about things we never knew needed caring about.
There will always be jerks. I just try real hard not to be one. After all, I'm the only person I have any control over.
Very well said.
Just as a day brightener for you, there are a lot of us here that believe in the science of vaccines and the benefit for the greater good. The problem is we are not very vocal about it like the "other" side is. The current hypocrisy is astounding. Ya know.. Lets outlaw abortion but don't you dare tell me to wear a mask. SMH.

I hate loud piped anything, not funny at all. I think they should require straight pipes to be run straight up to the helmet so the rider can enjoy it better.

I don't know how it is where you are, but out here in the west the brain dead idiots think the neat thing to do is roll coal with their modified diesel trucks. All the better if there are pedestrians or bicycle riders to foul with their soot clouds.

Common sense is not common for sure.
The coal dudes are 8in for a big wake up in Ca. smog inspections are going into their vehicle computers and if they have made mods to them to the detriment of rules, they go straight to the smog referees for corrective action, likely to cost them$.

Article in our paper today that correlates education levels in Ca counties with infection rates and vaccination rates; the conclusion is that as others have observed; you can't fix stupid. 'Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back