Whats up with this?

pburns

Registered
Registered
Ok I'm brand new to this forum. I posted my first post in the motorcycle and bicycle forum about a 1910's boardtrack racer bicycle replica I built...but i have a question. First, I was recently given a Central Machinery Drill, Mill & Lathe 3 in 1 unit. Circa 1999. It seems to be in pretty good shape and everything is there and working fine. I joined this forum to learn more about machining. I have done some in the past, but very basic stuff on quality equipment. I have been practicing on this machine and it seems to do the job, everything is in metric, so I need to convert to inches or keep in mm.

My question is I cannot figure out how to take off the 3 jaw chuck on the lathe. I have downloaded a pdf manual from Northern Tool for a similar machine and it says to loosen two set screws on the flange then unscrew the flange. I was able to loosen the two screws, but cannot figure out how to unscrew the flange. If anyone has had experience with this, please let me know as I need the clearance for some milling practice. I have posted some pictures of the machine if that helps. Thanks for any help.

Patrick

2012-12-27_17-33-18_433.jpg2012-12-27_17-33-27_249.jpg2012-12-27_17-35-08_902.jpg2012-12-27_17-33-56_197.jpg2012-12-27_17-34-17_601.jpg

2012-12-27_17-33-18_433.jpg 2012-12-27_17-33-27_249.jpg 2012-12-27_17-35-08_902.jpg 2012-12-27_17-33-56_197.jpg 2012-12-27_17-34-17_601.jpg

It will unscrew by turning the top of the chuck towards you. It is a right hand thread. You may have to use the chuck key to give you leverage if the chuck is on tight. The picture is of my lathe. It is a bit hard to see but the spindle is threaded for mounting the chucks and other stuff. You may have to stop the spindle from turning if it is really tight but usually a smack on the chuck key or a tommy bar that fits with a rubber/wood mallet will break it loose.

Just do not hit like Thor, you could bend/break something!:nono:

headstock.jpg

have you solved your problem yet ? my first thought is to hold the shaft with a spanner in the holes near the bearing/head, resting the spanner handle on the ways/lower frame against a board to protect the ways. then, insert the chuck key and give it a whack with a softblow hammer or equal. . . . .
aside from that, no clue . . . . .

Thanks for the information. I'm sure all I need to do is give it a light whack. I did not know it was a right hand thread. This will help. I have not tried it yet. I'm a career firefighter and work two days in a row, so I won't be back home for two more days. I will try then and will post if I was successful or not. Thanks again!!!!

I have seen the square hole that the chuck key goes into get cracked by striking the chuck key. I wouldn't hit it very hard. Some use a wrench clamped over a chuck jaw. If anyone ran that chuck up tight by turning the lathe on to screw it quickly onto the spindle,it can get VERY hard to remove.

A block of wood held in the jaws stick out pass the jaws will work as well. Like a hockey stick shaft or the like. Not a new carbon shaft type, it will shatter.

I am a career firefighter down in Casa Grande. Welcomde.

Casa Grande, huh! I used to work with a guy that went to Casa Grande fire back in 2001. If you know who he is say hi to him for me!

A block of wood held in the jaws stick out pass the jaws will work as well. Like a hockey stick shaft or the like. Not a new carbon shaft type, it will shatter.

I also use a block of wood held in the jaws. I just give it a tap with a dead blow hammer.

Corm

Back