What’s this used for.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Picked this up in an EBay tool lot. Not sure what it’s used for. I’m guessing it maybe came with a large machine tool like a tool cutter grinder. Maybe to set something since the round “handle “ has micrometer sort of gauging and when you turn it then the head moves out. The head is spring loaded. There are numerous tips which looks like would roach against grinder wheel profiles.38032FFE-09E4-4BC9-B4B4-34A5B22B7951.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Brino. Man I feel stupid. I fixed it. Sad thing is I first took the pic. Then posted the question. It’s just that I forgot to include said pic with the question.

here’s a closer look at one of them

Attachments

• E68F7B5C-720E-4C05-9333-63E517F91B82.jpeg
    E68F7B5C-720E-4C05-9333-63E517F91B82.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 30
Ohh. I get it. So the tool tip touches the flute....or touches the cutter tooth so to speak.

With the wheel cutting down, the finger goes underneath the tooth, pointing up. when you're done grinding that tooth/flute, move sideways, off the wheel, rotate up, "click," rotate down to set against the tooth and repeat.

If you have it set up with the end mill in an air bearing holder you can run the holder in and out and cut the side of the end mill flute, the finger being stationary.

Thanks To both of you. Brino for getting me in line.... And Tom for informing me its use. I’ve been accumulating and mind designing my cutter Grinder for a while now. I’ve assembled many of the parts already. Now I’m going to think about including this in it’s final design / build.
Very cool in my opinion

Back