What’s this press for?

Is the hole in it for a tommy bar?

It looks to be a home made tool . The hole serves no purpose . My guess the hole was used to press the pin entirely out if needed while mounted in a vise . :dunno:

No , you don't have to . Just press it out . :)
IMHO, I have pretty much always ground the tops of both link pins, ( on one side of the chain, when possible ), flush with the link, then used a chain breaker or a vise and pin punch to remove both pins, when possible. Pins are swagged over like a rivet to keep in place.

IMHO, I have pretty much always ground the tops of both link pins, ( on one side of the chain, when possible ), flush with the link, then used a chain breaker or a vise and pin punch to remove both pins, when possible. Pins are swagged over like a rivet to keep in place.
Sure you can but not necessary at all . :)

Breaks and pullers were tools I used daily for the past 25 years . On a bench there simple tools . Under machines with no clearance and being surrounded by 30 chains sometimes they're a real PITA . :grin: My push cart was always loaded up with master and half links . Chains never broke on dayshift , they always waited for me on the midnight shift . :cussing:Sometime in the near future you'll see 20 or so breaks on the bay . I need 1 or 2 for the ATVs .

Back