What's this insert?

I would think any triangular carbide insert of the same size could be used. or modified if needed.
Dave

Contact this guy with dimensions. He can tell yo what series it is and supply them as well. Pretty Economical .

This might help too,

The question is what does the other side look like?

Lots of fancy depressions for chip breakers or completely flat?

The question is what does the other side look like?

Lots of fancy depressions for chip breakers or completely flat?

Looks like it could be re-ground to me. Or find a similar size triangle and grind the clearance cuts to match.

I wonder if bamboo requires carbide. I know it's tough stuff, and cutting fibers dulls blades easily, but does it necessitate carbide? I suppose that's a dumb question if you're looking for replacements, though.

Look here:

those sort of look like old school chip breakers.

you can also get a little diamond bench stone and hand hone them back to an edge if you have some dull ones.

Look here:

those sort of look like old school chip breakers.

you can also get a little diamond bench stone and hand hone them back to an edge if you have some dull ones.

Thank you for this link to the T-triangle cutters they look like what I want.

To clarify my interest, I'm not interested in replacing the existing cutters because I don't have this tool (hence no existing cutters) but I'm working out something similar.

And yes carbide is best for some operations with bamboo. It contains a lot of microscopic silica and it dulls steel cutters pretty quick. Those of us who use hand planes in making bamboo fly rods have to stop to sharpen often, even with the best steel blades. The best blades for the purpose seem to be the PMV-11 plane blades from Lee Valley, if anyone is interested.

Thank you for this link to the T-triangle cutters they look like what I want.

To clarify my interest, I'm not interested in replacing the existing cutters because I don't have this tool (hence no existing cutters) but I'm working out something similar.

And yes carbide is best for some operations with bamboo. It contains a lot of microscopic silica and it dulls steel cutters pretty quick. Those of us who use hand planes in making bamboo fly rods have to stop to sharpen often, even with the best steel blades. The best blades for the purpose seem to be the PMV-11 plane blades from Lee Valley, if anyone is interested.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Any time I've worked with bamboo it's been hard as h3ll. Tough stuff, but pretty hard to work with.

It's almost hard to believe it's basically a weed.....

Back