What's the proper name for these bits!

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought several of these along with a handful of square end bits for $1.00 each at a flea market.

This one is 5/16” on the small end and exactly what I needed to countersink 5/16" cap screws. I'd love to have several more sizes but can't seem to find them. I tried searching for step bits but the only results were the cone shaped bits for step drilling holes in sheet metal.

Thanks for any feedback.

5ave6aby.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That looks like a drill / counterbore combo bit, I wasn't able to locate that exact bit in a very quick search.

You can buy counterbores from all of the tooling suppliers. Some have a fixed pilot, some have an interchangeable pilot. If I were going to buy another set, I would get interchangeable pilots.

Thanks Jim, I just found them on McMaster Carr as counterbore bits. According to their prices, I think I found a deal. :).

Thanks Jim, I just found them on McMaster Carr as counterbore bits. According to their prices, I think I found a deal. :).

My pleasure. A deal from Mcmaster? I would go buy a lottery ticket:))

You are really lucky!
Here the flea markets offer mainly things like this one:

bulldog.jpg

These counterbore bits, sometimes called "stepdrill", allow you to correctly place a cap screw, with a flat bottom under the head.
Generally, without these bits (and without an end mill) the hole for the head is done with just a larger bit, and this has two drawbacks: first, to center exactly the head and the screw could be difficult (while with such a bit you can even make it with a hand held drill), and second the head gets an uneven support, limited to the circumference edge.
:nono:

On eBay even Chinese counterbore bits are over $15 each, at least the metric ones I need, so you really made a good deal.

bulldog.jpg

I have always called them step bits, I came across a box of assorted for $1.50 a pound, so far haven't found a use for them.

I have always called them step bits, I came across a box of assorted for $1.50 a pound, so far haven't found a use for them.

If they are metric and you find a way to ship them to Italy for a very reasonable price, I offer you $3/lb… a deal :D

I bought several of these along with a handful of square end bits for $1.00 each at a flea market.

This one is 5/16” on the small end and exactly what I needed to countersink 5/16" cap screws. I'd love to have several more sizes but can't seem to find them. I tried searching for step bits but the only results were the cone shaped bits for step drilling holes in sheet metal.

Thanks for any feedback.

5ave6aby.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They are called "bullet drills". The box stores and hardware stores carry them in sizes up to 1/2".Black & Decker and maybe Vermont American both manufacture these drills. The point is good for starting the hole.
mike

5ave6aby.jpg

5ave6aby.jpg

5ave6aby.jpg

5ave6aby.jpg

5ave6aby.jpg

Back