What's the point of a "dual purpose" knurler/holder?

Not to be the one disagreeing all the time, but it doesn’t take a lot of pressure on my 10” atlas to use the import knurler.

But perhaps I’m not using it like others.

I center the knurler, then apply a slight pressure. I make a pass and then reverse, which gets me light knurls in the work pieces. I give it a little more pressure and repeat. 4-5 passes and I have a nice knurled surface. Kind of like cutting a screw thread in multiple passes and leaving the half nuts engaged until finished.

While I can cut pretty deep in a pass with the Atlas (for an atlas that is) if I want, I learned a fair while ago that lighter cuts give better results (on my atlas). So I’m guessing that I’ve just carried that over to when I do knurling too and it seems to work for me.

YMMV…

I have a CA set on a sizable lathe, and find those bump knurlers to do an awful job/hard to get consistent/right. The cheap scissor knurler I have does fantastic knurls every time.

I never thought about machining out my bump-knurl as an extra tool holder, but thats a great idea, I might just!

Back