What's the point of a "dual purpose" knurler/holder?

zippyslug31

Registered
Registered
I have something very similar to this tool holder which has a knurling tool on one end and an open slot for tool holding. The only tool that I can imagine which can be used in the open end is a boring bar or maybe an inside threading tool, correct? And with only two, closely spaced set screws I wouldn't think it would do a very good job at holding onto the tool.

Just trying to understand the use of this little guy.

TIA

Cut the knurling end off and use it as a regular tool holder. The knurler is junk.
I use mine to hold a dial indicator stem.
Joe

You could put a regular bit in it and it would hold just fine. The only bad part about the tool is the knurler part.

Well, the way the holding portion is oriented, it would only work with boring... unless I were to flip my post around 180, which I guess is an option...?

+1 on the knurler is junk. I use it for my chamfer tool, which is a brazed carbide tool. Works fine for that.

Rotate the tool post 90º. Use it for boring or with left hand tool bits for turning toward the tailstock to be able to get close to the tailstock center.

The knurler works but is a pita to get adjusted right. I leave the clamping lever on the TP loose until the knurl rolls bear evenly. I keep a chamfer tool in the slotted end.

Reactions: jcp
On my first try of using the bump knurler, the part ended up getting pushed into the chuck and my live center seems to now have a “tighter” spot on it’s rotation.

I bought a scissor knurler which has worked fine.

I’d cut it off too…

I kept the lantern toolposts for the lathes. That way I have the option of using the Armstrong or Williams swivel head
Williams old fashioned swivel head knurling tools. I am planning on building a Hemmingway kit pinch knurler.

It's not really the knurler that's junk - it's the knurls. I have yet to see good quality import knurls. The blunt, sorta-textured knurls on the cheap knurlers make good (e.g. Albreacht, Starret quality) knurls impossible. Get some good knurls (knurling wheels) and you'd be surprised how much your knurling improves. A lot of cheap import knurlers work like gangbusters with good knurls.

Back to the point at hand - I have no idea what you put in that slot. It's probably fine and dandy for a lot of tools. Maybe a 'V' / chamfer tool, which I often use to provide a chamfer where I'm parting off.

GsT

Back