What's the Differance? Tool Post Styles, Piston or Wedge

Tim, first thing, my vote goes to the wedge type. But my reason for replying is that I think you should shop around a little more. The price difference you quoted seems way too wide. When I bought my Phase II wedge toolpost set I'm pretty sure the difference was only about 25 bucks, off coarse that was from the now (sadly) gone Enco. Hope this helps, JR49

EDIT:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GVWBBA8?m=A3H367CBPE368U&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPDQ4G?m=A3H367CBPE368U&ref_=v_sp_detail_page
I appreciate all of the replies to this simple question. I looked at Shar's and the prices are the on-line price. I will shop around more. I have the lantern post with all the different holders, but when I try to set the post, it seems its way to high with the angle of the holder. I move the wedge but it seems to not have enough over the compound.

This topic shows up once in a while with very similar responses.

Is it too off topic to throw in here whether it is better to spend more for a Phase II, Dorian or genuine-authentic Aloris brand QCTP? Or it the lowest price model just as good?

Wedge type. 4 points of full dovetail contact.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I recall seeing literature from Dorian or Aloris that confirmed that the wedge type is more accurate and repeatable, and I am at least 95% sure they also said it's more rigid.

I actually just ordered the Shars AXA from the eBay store for myself. The eBay store is almost always cheaper than their own site. Note that if you are ordering multiple items from them they will combine shipping. My combined order was $12 cheaper to ship than the sum of the listed shipping prices of all items. Be warned, though, that apparently the policy has changed since I last did it so you can no longer add items to your cart and request a combined total from the seller and then decide if you want to purchase based on the final total. Now by requesting the total you are committing to the purchase. I don't care for that policy, but Shars always seems to discount it appreciably.

Could the repeatability of the wedge type be better because the wedge moves downward when tightening the tool holder thus helping the holder stay down? I bought a Bostar AXA wedge tool post and holders from CDCO on Ebay and have been happy with it.

This topic shows up once in a while with very similar responses.

Is it too off topic to throw in here whether it is better to spend more for a Phase II, Dorian or genuine-authentic Aloris brand QCTP? Or it the lowest price model just as good?

From what I have seen, most of these contraptions work equally well or nearly so. A QCTP is not a really complicated tool so if all the pieces are there then they should work pretty well, I think. I don't own an Asian tool post so you should totally discount what I have to say about them. I do, however, own both an Aloris and a Dorian tool post and I can tell you that the fit and finish of both are better than the Asian examples I have seen with my own eyes. Both are very smooth and work flawlessly. Of the two, the Dorian is more finely machined and finished; in fact, its a work of art.

As for repeatability, I don't know that they will repeat any better than an Asian one will. I always check tool height with a tool height gage before using a tool that I just installed and more often than not, even with genuine Aloris tool holders but also with Phase II holders, I need to make an adjustment. If I wipe the underside of the adjustment nut and the top of the post off before installing the tool holder then it is less of a problem. If I also push down lightly on the post of the tool holder as I snug it up, that also helps.

My point is that if you can afford a Dorian or Aloris, go for it. They are the top of the line, with fit and finish going to Dorian. Functionally, they are the same. If you cannot bring yourself to buy one of these name brands then I wouldn't worry too much about it. From what I've seen from other comments, Asian tool post owners seem to think their tool post works fine for them and that's good enough for me.

I have a wedge type and think that the wedge is better
I recall seeing literature from Dorian or Aloris that confirmed that the wedge type is more accurate and repeatable, and I am at least 95% sure they also said it's more rigid.
However without knowing who wrote the literature its hard to determine whos right.

Cheers Phil

Back