What's The Deal With The Price Of 10-32 Taps

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Over the years I've literally purchased hundreds if not thousands of taps. Sizes have ranged from 0-80 to 2-1/2-4. The larger ones are obviously more expensive, but those under 1" are generally relatively inexpensive. The major exception to the trend seems to be size 10-32. For some reason this particular size is way more expensive than others in that size range. Quality brand HSS H3 taps size 10-24 seem to run about $5.00 per unit if purchased individually, or about $3.00 when purchased by the package. 10-32 taps on the other hand seem to cost a minimum of $10.00 per unit, and often as much as $25.00 for the same brands, material, and tolerance. Why is it that this particular size seems to be so much more expensive than all the others?

Just did a quick check . They look like they are ranging $5-$10 depending on tap and manufacturer . Guhring and OSG being at the top end .

Just did a quick check . They look like they are ranging $5-$10 depending on tap and manufacturer . Guhring and OSG being at the top end .
Where are you finding them at those prices? Most of the vendors I checked including eBay are far more expensive. I did see McMaster has some for between $6.00 and $10.00. I do like their stuff, but unfortunately, they won't publish the name of the manufacturer.

KBC brand are $3 each. Been using them for last couple of years. As long as they cut like butter they are good, First time they drag, I toss them. I tap mainly 10-32 in 1018 and 10-24 in 6061. 95% of tapping is by hand. For Power tapping I buy expensive name brand helix taps.

Upcoming project this reminded me of . Sort thru and organize 1000 or so taps into a large un-used drill index . Never thought of this until this thread , so another space saving project on the list . :)

From a theoretical perspective, 32 TPI is the fine thread for a 3/16 (#10) screw as opposed to 3/16-24. Assuming fine thread taps are more expensive than course thread, such as 3/8-24 vs 3/8-16 or 1/2-20 vs 1/2-13, could that account for the discrepancy?

I was just looking at replenishing my smaller taps. I was shocked to find 10-24 taps are currently about double the M5 and M4. Same brands, same style and coatings.

Back