What's it?

Wow, ok. Definitely a Starrett back plunger indicator. Is it a press fit?!? So you have to press it in and out to adjust it? Can you still spin it inside the bezel to zero it?

Look like a fancy depth gauge for wide surfaces?
Maybe to measure the depth of something rough or pointy like a gear in relation to an adjoining surface?

Looks like a bit of effort went into it! I like the serrated edge details.

Any idea what the extra 4 holes are? Merely ’lightening’?
Or maybe they cleared bolt/screw heads?

Last edited:
Wow, ok. Definitely a Starrett back plunger indicator. Is it a press fit?!? So you have to press it in and out to adjust it? Can you still spin it inside the bezel to zero it?

Look like a fancy depth gauge for wide surfaces?
Maybe to measure the depth of something rough or pointy like a gear in relation to an adjoining surface?

Looks like a bit of effort went into it! I like the serrated edge details.

Any idea what the extra 4 holes are? Merely ’lightening’?
Or maybe they cleared bolt/screw heads?
(Maybe to measure the depth of something rough or pointy like a gear in relation to an adjoining surface?)
I think this is probably the right direction, I originally thought a flatness or step comparator, like Matt suggested. However, the button does not recede past the surface, if I phrased that right. I can't turn the bezel by hand, with a small instrument, maybe. As far as the 4 holes, lightening maybe, it is stupid heavy, but I'm gonna guess a locating feature for now. I haven't tried pushing it in or to adjust.

May be for measuring head clearance on a small engine

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

If a phone can have a camera built into it, and a freezer can have a tablet built into it, and a lawn chair can have speakers built into it, then why can't a meat tenderizer have an indicator built into it? It probably shipped with a lathe/mill/drill combo machine, along with a ratchethammer.
Screenshot_20230505-150842_Chrome.jpg

Back