What's Better? Having Multiple Tooling Suppliers Or Having One Or 2 Mainly?

HarleyRiderNV

Registered
Registered
I've been trying to find the best way to improve our shops tooling situation without be biased as to whom I shop around to, however I'm wondering if it is better and more efficient to instead of using say 5 different companies and distributors to cut down and use 2 that I can get more affordable and have a better relationship with.

What do other people find works best for their shop?

I normally use just one vendor. I get good service, good pricing, and quick delivery. If I need something that they don't carry then I have to look elsewhere. It would seem that 1 or 2 vendors would be the most efficient.

The global company that I worked for recently was required of having multiple vendors by its ISO 9000 quality system. The rationale was that if one of them was unable to provide the necessary goods and/or services, there was a fallback. However, the downside of that reasoning is that if you divide your purchases between two or more vendors, the impact of your business on any one of them is less. This is particularly true for small businesses.

Giving increased business to a vendor with the expectation of improved service from them only works well if you have a personal relationship with the vendor. When working for a much smaller company, I always tried to match the vendor size to our size. Too large and we were less likely to command their attention. Too small and there was a distinct possibility that when the chips were down, they would fail to meet commitments. This mostly applied to custom goods and services.

Off the shelf items were usually purchased from a single supplier but could be purchased from any qualified vendor. In the global company, this would not have any particular significance since the the annual purchases ran into the millions of $. For the small company, we were so much smaller than the vendors we were using that our purchasing level was of little consequence. The exception was when we were working with the traveling sales reps. They were hungry enough that they appreciated the business that we passed their way.

From an accounting point of view, fewer would be better. The bean counters at the global company used to tell us that it cost over $500 to qualify a new vendor and they strongly resisted doing so. It usually took an approval from one or two levels above to use an unqualified vendor. Hopefully, a smaller company doesn't have that kind of bureaucratic overhead but it still detracts from the paying work.

Are you looking for suppliers? or Better tooling?

Are you looking for suppliers? or Better tooling?
Since February of this year one of the things my boss wanted me to do was to improve our tooling around the shop and start implementing the "5S" structure.

I shopped around and was able to get inserts for various turning from Sowa Tool and holders as well, as they have an online ordering system and can deliver next day and also offer tooling at a lower cost it has helped out but for some of our more exotic materials require higher end inserts I have used a couple other suppliers. Mitsubishi, Sandvik, Kyocera, Sumitomo and Walter (milling).
I find each one has things to offer and we can benefit from. We have started using some high feed mills but now a question has been raised about them ruining the ways on our CNC due to the multiple passes the use due to only taking a .035-.040 DOC at such a high feed rate.
Do you guys run these or do you find its just as economical and safer for the machine life to use a normal style face mill but take deeper DOC and less passes?

Do you guys run these or do you find its just as economical and safer for the machine life to use a normal style face mill but take deeper DOC and less passes?

I suspect what you will find is that the ways will be fine as long as they are properly lubed, but the servo motors and drives will take the brunt of the load. Have you noticed an increase of servo failures?

No, we haven't noticed any servo failures, the machine definitely gets its fair share of lube to the ways. It's only 2 years old and it really doesn't run as much as others do (80 hours/week at most) so I don't see it being an issue, my boss does though and as it's machine I feel I definitely need to value his opinion but I also wanted to see others views in the business before I go back to him with anything.
It's not a production machine either so it's not like its running 100 of the same parts all day, we're more of a custom machine shop so our quantities are lower, say 5-10 a run.

The boss's opinion will override reality every time.;) I would go with what ever he wants.

Back