What You Should Know Before Ordering Titanium - Expensive Lesson For Me

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Last year I ordered some Titanium and they saw cut it to size and it worked great. I re-ordered some this year and they sheared it instead, all that pressure warped the plates beyond the tolerance available to clean them up to size. I learned about ASTM B265 standards and the warpage in these sheared plates was actually well within the available tolerance from the vendor. These tolerances are much more than I expected and would have thought to ask about. So an expensive lesson for me, happy to share my learning to try and save you some headache in the future. I am sure all materials have a similar set of standards so likely this learning applies to more than just Titanium in some way.

can you put them in a press and straighten them out?
I am sure that is possible. They seem warped both directions so seems like a pretty tedious process? Titanium is pretty springy as well. Not sure worth the time it would take. Plan to make something else with them instead.

might be worth trying.
maybe build a pallet with screws sticking up, with the warp facing the plate, adjust the screws so the most warped is the highest screw, and also the short distance gets an extra height since it will take more force to correct a short distance.
maybe you get it close in one or two tries (lucky) but worth the effort. Don't know how much it cost, but I would try it if it were me.

might be worth trying.
maybe build a pallet with screws sticking up, with the warp facing the plate, adjust the screws so the most warped is the highest screw, and also the short distance gets an extra height since it will take more force to correct a short distance.
maybe you get it close in one or two tries (lucky) but worth the effort. Don't know how much it cost, but I would try it if it were me.
I don’t have a press, but may be able to get access to the one to try it if my other project plan does not work out. Thanks!

I checked McMaster. About $84 for each piece.
When you said you will have to eat the cost =Gulp!!
Thankfully I payed much less than that per piece, only $15, but I do have a good number of pieces. Still a pricey mistake on my part but based on that cost could have been worse.

Take one, throw it in the oven at 400 to 450 for two hours, shut the oven off and let it cool for an hour before removal.. in some cases the warps will normalize. Try it with ONLY one plate, the results can get worse.

Back