What way to repair stripped spline on snowblower auger?

John O

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
20220304_112109.jpg
20220304_111916.jpg
I am thinking to weld some 1/8 steel to the rear of the female side then grind a 1/8" slit in the end of the male shaft.
Would this hold the force or fail fast? Other thought is to slit the female end and weld it to the male end.

More info may be required to get more useful responses.
Can you add some pictures of the entire assembly?

Does it need to be separable?
If not, then welding may be an option.....

If so, is there room to install a thru pin when the two pieces are assembled? (ie. no sheet metal shrounds in the way)
If so you could drill thru both pieces when you have them out and install a pin.
It could even be just a bolt.

Brian

I’m thinking welding may not work because it needs to slide back and forth as it moves over uneaten ground or if it’s a 3 point hitch type, when you raise it off the ground? Looks like maybe it was welded before by the one photo?
if it doesn’t have to slide , drilling a shear pin thru the two may work , like Brino said. I use grade 5 bolts as shear pins on my blower. Usually break two or 3 a season at least. Usually a newspaper sucked in!
Martin

20220306_151053.jpg
20220306_151036.jpg
I was only given the connecting shaft and the auger, it is from a 44" gravely. The spline was a 3/4 23 spline.I am told the impeller side is about the same condition. The fit is very sloppy so I don't think pinning thru would hold.

Should have put that it is the shaft between the impeller and the auger.
The impeller side I have not seen but was told it would be difficult to weld. I think I could get inbetwwen the augers for welding.

The connecting shaft itself has " sliding room".

Do you have and good industrial supply places near you?

Can you gat the existing shafts out and with a lathe, do work on them if needed?

Not sure I a replacement female that is not worn out will have better fit either.

Stepping way out of the box...

First locate a sliding coupling, common for farm equipment.

This will be your new shaft.

Determine how to interface, maybe turn existing shafts to nearest standard size or if you have a shaper you can make new females that just fit.

End goal is to no longer use slides on existing interface but to have a telescoping coupling between them.

Use a set screw to seat to shaft, make a mark with screw then drill out a hole to seat it in for locking.

Many options....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I would weld it up then mill it square. You can buy female square ( or slightly rectangular) couplings at a farm store for PTO shafts. Weld the coupling on and yours good to go.

Thanks for suggestions, I gave some to him to decide if he wants to be able to take it apart in the future or make it permanent and hope he expire before it does.

Back