What was the dumbest machining mistake you ever made?

Dumbest? Well that would be a tough call, for sure - seems like I make lots of left-handed parts and drill holes in the wrong places every so often.

Most painful in the machining department would be the time I absent-mindedly hit the high speed lever with a foot and a half of 3/8" brass rod hanging out the back of the lathe headstock. It whipped around, clobbered a nice Heidenhain DRO display and ripped the cable out of the sensor, to the tune of $600 in repair.

I saw a engineer do that once with a piece of 1/4" steel rod hanging about 6 foot out of the back end of a Hardinge chucker. It whipped around, took out a couple of light fixtures before it came out completely and stuck in a wall. I'm pretty sure he had to go change his shorts after that. He never came out in the shop to try and run a machine after that.

I saw a engineer do that once with a piece of 1/4" steel rod hanging about 6 foot out of the back end of a Hardinge chucker. It whipped around, took out a couple of light fixtures before it came out completely and stuck in a wall. I'm pretty sure he had to go change his shorts after that. He never came out in the shop to try and run a machine after that.

Yeah, I've seen those engineers do some crazy stuff. They should definitely stay off the shop floor.

And, they Never admit when they're wrong.

I claim to be an engineer and saw the results from a machinist doing that with a 1-1/2" steel bar about 17 foot long! Happen on a Mazak M5 at about 1200 RPM, took out the rear chuck, belt guard, ceiling tiles, then broke off and went across the shop into a wall!

Oh, I don't make mistakes!!!:biggrin: Wife claims I make a mistake everytime I open my mouth!!! What can I say!!!

At work we have a huge Cincinnatti horizontal mill. When i joined the company it was deemed innoperable due to electrical issues. I later found out the elctrical issues meant that the plug socket where the DRO plugs into was bad. The machine itself ran and the DRO could be used if one pulls an extension over and plugs the DRO in. The real excuse for being down was people were afraid to run the thing....So as a newby I got tasked with cutting keyways on a 6''X22' shaft on this mill. No problem, I have used smaller machines like it in the past so I gave it a go. So I set it up and strapped the shaft down to figure out where to place the clamps etc. I get ready to cut and get pulled away for a second. Before I walked away I started the spindle and turned my back. I figured I would idle the spindle before applying cutting pressure. I knew the X feed was off but didn't realize the Z feed was engaged. The lever is right to the power feed. Another machinist saw what was happening but froze as he was scared to death of this machine. The cutter plowed into the shaft and melted into it about 1/4'' . The cutter actually stuck out of the BT-50 collet about 2 1/2'' but by the time I got to it, it was barely 1/4'' sticking out. The actual collet was rubbing to the point it pushed the shaft off the clamps. This machine is very powerful and stout... Luckily I had decided to use a cutter that used two carbide inserts and it was not the bottom cutting type. I thought for sure I killed the shaft and the collet but to my surprise, I was able to remove the remains of the cutter and clean up the collet. As for the shaft it required a bit of welding and grinding to remove the boo boo. There was a potential of $12,000 loss for the shaft plus I have only been working for about two weeks when this happened. This was last week by the way. I have six more shafts to cut so I have taken the liberty of cleaning the areas around the levers and marked them with a sharpie to get a better visual of where the controls are; at least the neutral positions. I was later told by one of the weldors that no one else wanted to run this machine because they were scared of it. As simple as this machine is, it could easily make a hot mess in a hurry if gets away from you in a second. Now I kind of enjoy running it and it will be even better when I make a jig to cut keyways on it. Hopefully once it's properly set up others won't fear it and try to use it.

well i have something new to add here
it's probably not the dumbest thing i have done but it is funny
i was testing different microstep settings on my cnc mill controllers and after changing them i have to recalibrate the machine
X and Y went fine and i zeroed a caliper in the vise under z to check it
instead of telling it to move 1 inch for first test i told it to move 2 inches negative, well z was off by about 50% so it moved down 4 inches
I have a used 6" caliper for sale all offers concidered
steve

DSCF0342.JPG

How come I never told my boys, when they were boys not to get in trouble???
Now when the General leaves, she tells me not to get into trouble????

Here is one of my nine lives gone and she aint no happy camper!!!

pics 032.jpg pics 010.jpg

decided to arc weld a mower deck without my welding helment. "It's just one short little bead....."' and a trip to the ER for flash burns. I learned just exactly how stupid it was while I was temporarily blinded for the next three days. Stupid is as stupid does, and I was eaten up with a serious case of the dumb ass that day....
Bob

GK1918,in the 60's,the school where I taught shop was having a football stadium built. A heavy truck FULL of cement bags flipped on its side going around a curve before starting up a mild hill. I heard later that the truck drivers were having to speed up as much as possible in order to make it up that hill. BUT,the curve was where this one didn't take kindly to getting a running start.

This isn't quite machining..., but I left a 4 year old boy, a cordless drill, and a brand new oak coffee table together, alone.

He didn't get a hole all the way through. He make up for it with a lot of little divots.

Back