What Wall

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What wall material do you think would be nice for the shop?
Thumbs down on sheetrock.

I’m getting ready to sheet the inside of my shop.
I’m going to use 5/8” chateau plywood.
It has narrow grooves about 10” apart
I think the face quality would be a B grade. It will be painted some form of white. I may put some hard plastic material behind the mill and lathe to spare the wall from oil stains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen 1/2" Kevlar sheets used as wall material before............... Looks like sheetrock but it's not.

You might want different material in different locations depending on what is going to be in front of the wall. For example I have peg board on the walls above my work benches. OSB and plywood in other places and lots of drywall too.

Mine is covered with 7/16" osb, painted with white primer. It's great for shooting a screw anywhere. My only regret is that I air nailed it up instead of screws.

Bruce

I have a pallet of OSB sitting on my new shop floor. It's going up on the walls as soon as the inspector blesses the building. I wish I could use something fireproof like hardieboard, but the cost is high. My welding corner is still going to get hardie sheeting, just not the whole shop. I plan to give it a coat of paint, but that's starting to slip down my priority list right now.

We may not like the surface durability of sheet rock, but it has great fire resistance . If you use in obs or plywood on the walls of a home shop especially if attached to a home put sheet rock under it for the fire resistance. The life you may save could be yours or your family's. Older mobile home are a good example of what fire can do if the walls are ply wood only. In the fire service we call them 10 second fires. Which means a person has about 10 seconds two leave and live in case of a fire. This was drove home to me after a mobile home fire where the only thing standing was the hot water heater surrounded by the only sheet rock in the home. As a side note modern noble home do have sheet rock. With the grinding ,welding,and hot work we do in our shops ,stay safe out there.

Back