What Two Nuts?

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, On the tail stock of my 6316 I have two socket head bolts that appear to be some kind of pinch bolts. They tighten down a split section of the tail stock. I have looked at the drawings I have an they are not present.

I am trying to adjust my tail stock, using the side adjustment bolts. Just wondering if these need to be loosed to adjust the side to side movement of the tail stock quill and then need to be tightened after the adjustment.

Enclosed are some pics of my tail stock and the drawing assembly of the tail stock.

Thanks

Joe

tail2.jpg tail1.jpg

Joe,

The drawing looks nothing like the part in the photograph. Must be for a different machine.

But yes, if the hex head cap screw has been installed in place of the usual headless set screw, I would guess that the two socket head cap screws are lock screws and would need to be loosened in order to zero the tailstock offset.

Thanks Robert, Yes I have to send my part number to Clausing and have them email me a manual for my lathe.

Joe

We only have one Clausing 6300 Series manual in Downloads. According to a note on the front cover, it is for Serial Number 2-4818 and later. The tailstock page says from 2-3030. It may be the source of your second photo which as I wrote earlier doesn't look quite like your first photo. It also doesn't look exactly like the photos and drawings of the tailstock earlier in the manual. I've no idea whether that is because Clausing didn't change the photos from an earlier manual or because the drawing just doesn't look exactly the part. However, looking at the complete page, I now see what the purpose of the two DL-562 Offset Nuts is, and why they are called nuts instead of screws. And disregard my comment above about the hex head versus slot head screw. The rear DL-562 does not have the tapped hole for the rear Offset Screw drawn in. And of course the two socket head screws aren't there.

Out of curiousty, what is down in the holes to the left and right of the two socket head screws on your actual tailstock?

Robert, Those smaller allen head bolts are for the forward/rearward height adjustment. I found out those by trial and error. Last night I loosened the to pinch bolts and used the side adjusting bolts to align the horizontal alignment of the quill and then tried the smaller allen head bolts and that adjusted the vertical alignment of the tail stock quill.

Thanks

Joe

Joe,
I was just looking at pictures of other 6300's and I think your lathe had a differnt tailstock installed at some point during it's life. It doesn't look like a 5900 tail stock either. I am not sure if it is even a clausing :) That said, It looks like it has more stroke and a MT3 hole, both of which are definitely an upgrade over the original.

Hey Henry, Funny you should mention that, I was looking at my cross slide and there is a placard on the hand wheel shaft that says Telling, Burbank CA.

I measured the taper on the my live center and it is an MT4. My drill arbor has an adapter from MT2 to MT4

Either Clausing farmed out work to other companies or as you say maybe someone upgraded various components on the lathe.

Joe

Robert, my serial number is 2-3429. as Henry indicated it may have been an upgrade.

Joe

Henry,

You're probably correct. The tailstock doesn't look like those on either the 4800, 4900 or 6300 as shown in what manuals I have. I would mention that the books show the early 4800 and the 4900 with an Atlas 9-88 2MT center. The late 4800 and 6300 have the same tailstock and a Clausing 7659 center which is ID'd as a #3 A.S.A. Which doesn't mean anything to me.

Joe,

2-3429 is withing the range shown in the one manual. So someone changed the tailstock for some reason.

Looking at the picture of the TS the socket cap screws appear to hold the base to the TS. They would definitely need to be loosened to adjust the TS from side to side. It does not appear from the photo that there is a great deal of room around the heads of the socket cap screws, this will definitely limit the amount of side to side offset that could be achieved. It looks as though someone has modified a TS to work on your lathe. I have a Colchester and the bolts that hold the TS to the base go through the base into the TS from underneath the base plate. The base plate is slotted so that the screws can move with the TS as its adjusted from side to side. Hope this helps you out

Back