What tool size for a 13"?

jduncan

Active User
Registered
When I bought my SB, I got a small can full of misc cutting tools. I tried a 5/8" cutting tool and it is way above the centerline. Am I right in thinking that a 1/2" tool is the correct one? I have an old Enco tool holder that came with the lathe.

IMG_0377-L.jpg

The tool in the holder above seems to be for threading. It made neat curly thread like grooves in my test piece. I had to move it to the opposite side of the holder to get it to work.

I am used to a Sherline set up so this "big boy" cutting tool set up is tripping me up a bit.

IMG_0377-L.jpg

The insert in the holder is for general work. You would normally have five similar holders. The one shown is called an AL. It has the insert set the farthest to the right of all of the holders. An AR would have it set farthest to the left. A BL or BR would have the insert set about half-way to right or left and an E would have the insert pointing straight off the end of the bar.

Back when names were being made up for tools, someone decided that, if the tool was cutting from the right (not toward the right), it was a right-hand tool.

While the insert is intended for general turning and facing operations, since it has points that are exactly 60[SUP]o[/SUP], it can be used as a threading tool in a pinch. Just make sure the cutting edge is exactly on the centre line of the work, height-wise.

Generally, you would want to go with the largest tooling your machine can support. This gives you the greatest rigidity. Sounds like you've figured out your size.

Back