What tool for this??

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
making some 12L14 fly wheels and needing to know what tool Id use to smooth out what you see.........am thinking something in a round nose which Id have to make but not sure..........I tried a boring bar ata angle but didnt work out and did what your seeing on the inside surface.....or maybe I should have gouged the inside out first then drilled...

Attachments

• 100_3760.JPG
    100_3760.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_3760.JPG
    100_3760.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 63
A ball turning fixture with round nose bit.

A ball turning fixture with round nose bit.
ok good so if able maybe you or someone can post a profile of what your refering too, I kinda got an idea but not sure....also thought about putting a 1/2 in . drill bit in a tool holder being the nose is round.

Last edited:
Was the tip of your boring bar exactly on the spindle center line?
If you are trying to reces the back like the front is then it is just a normal boring operation. Trying to plung in a boring bar does not work well, You are better off doing a few facing cuts from the center out with the boring bar. If you try to go to fast or aggressive you will get a rough finish. Then do a final light pass on both the face and the bore to clean them up to size. Make sure your tool is sharpened properly.

ok will try that, but am thinking that B bar wont like those holes.............eeekkk

Definitely drill the holes after. It's hard to get a good finish on an interrupted cut. There will almost always be a "shadow" following the interruption.

too late now but the good news is I bought a 6x 1 3/4 12L14 bar for $14 so I can get a few pcs out of it, besides its good practice if I screw up........was gonna buy some online but the stinkin post price was almost as high as the product! eeekkkk

so I messed with a B bar to smooth things out and it worked great, the holes didnt matter......

Back