What to look for in buying boring bars for a home shop lathe?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Folks,

I'm looking at boring bars and don't really know which sizes to get.

I have a Tools4Cheap tool post for my Southbend 10L.

What brands are good?

What types are the best (solid, or insert-tip style)?

What maximum bore length would be sufficient?

What size would everyone recommend to get started?

Should I get a set, would that pay over time, or just what I would need right away?

What would be needed for internal threading?

Thanks!

Nelson

You probably need to let us know what you plan to be making and what materials you will using.

I would get at least a set of HSS for treading, better final finishes and soft materials. The standard sets offered by suppliers will give you most of the lengths you will need. Ground down old broken end mills, drill bits, etc also provide an excellent source of custom short boring tools. For large long BB's, Craigs List and flea markets are a good source. You can always find a 1" steel bar and cross drill it and square the hole. I have made several, as I have had to do some deep boring.
If your equipment and set up is rigid enough, a good set of braised carbide is hard to beat.

Randy

Nels,

I have a large quantity of new old stock braised carbide boring bars and standard cutters for sale cheap. Shipping via flat rate USPS box.

Sizes from 3/8 to 1 1/4. These boring bars have a cutting height 1 size lower than the shank size, for instance if you normally use a 1/2 inch cutter then a 5/8 boring bar would give you the same tool height. This is because the boring bar was turned down from a square blank.

Made here in Houston by the H.R. Wilkins Co here in Houston Tx using Japanese Carbide. Carbide grades of C2 and C5 on boring bars. some C7 on other tooling.

The ones pictured are a little shop worn but not used. I will sell loose ones with the wax still on or whole boxes if you want quantity. E and ER are threading tools.

12-2.jpg 15inch.jpg 38-4.jpg 38-5.jpg 58-4.jpg 58.jpg

I’m in with the group of folks that says: “you get what you pay for”. So, my first choice would be boring bars made by Criterion with the 3/8” or 1/2” round shank. And they come in HSS, solid carbide bar and carbide tipped bar. Then there are the round steel bars with square holes at its ends. The square holes can be at different angles say 90° and 45° to the length of the bar. With these types of bars you can grind and add your own tool bit choice. I use this bar set-up for internal threading/boring if the hole is big enough to except the bar with bit. Procuring the round steel bars is different, it’s just a hunk of metal with holes in it. I have an import set from eBay for around 20 bucks (I think) and work great. If you want to bore/thread smaller holes than the tool list above can accommodate then the choices narrow to grinding your own from say HSS square blanks or pay through the nose from a supplier. I do a lot of mirco machining and have found that in this world the price goes up as your parts get smaller!...Good Luck

Back