[How-To] What to do when your lathe is to small.

Stockyj

Registered
Registered
I have a ride-on mower and noticed the bearings are loose in the drive plates. So that's simple bore out the bearing recess and fit a sleeve. The problem is I only have a 9x20 lathe and the drive plates are at least 11" in diameter.
Any ideas what I can do that will work, shims, Liquid Metal, the equipment is not worth taking to a machine shop and paying the normal hourly rate and spares are not available.
Thanks in advance.

depends on how loose the bore is.

if minor, locktite will lock it in there, or epoxy if you never plan to deal with it again.
Or take a soda or beer can, and cut it open. It's great shim stock. if you can if more than one wrap, loctite is not a good solution then.
Use the can and keep wrapping until it's hard to get it in, and tape the bearings in using a socket

If the bearings are loose you will undoubtedly have uneven wear in the bore. The best would be to bore larger and sleeve. You could build up the worn area with braze or weld but that would also require boring. I wouldn't expect a filler like liquid metal or JB weld to hold up in use. You might get by with a combination of shims and filler. The shims would provide metal to metal contact while the filler would keep the shims in place.

If I use epoxy does that mean I cannot disassemble, the mounting hole is cast aluminum?

Maybe look for a Speedy Sleeve in a size that matches? There are suppliers, here is one. Fit the sleeve to the bearing and epoxy in the casting?
Pierre

For one job, I think a machine shop would be cheaper. I am is AU Melb any offers.
Yes, probably cheaper. But given the audience here I think there's a substantial risk of you buying a bigger lathe.

You can post in the "can you make something for me?" area probably someone has a bigger machine and will be happy to help.

Cheers,

John

If I use epoxy does that mean I cannot disassemble, the mounting hole is cast aluminum?
pretty much. its close to perm...
you can use a torch to heat it or a heat gun: if it's basic epoxy.
Some epoxies can handle high heats.

Back