What the heck is a "Dividing" rotatry table?

injunear

Registered
Registered
What the heck is a "Dividing" rotary table? I am the proud owner of a 4 inch "dividing" rotary table from India......What is the significance of the term 'dividing' on this rotary table?

Thanks
Bob T.

If it came with indexing plates, it's a dividing rotary table.

It's a rotary table that has the dials replaced with dividing plates. Here is a photo of mine.

PICT2778.JPG

A rotary table is capable of easily breaking down a 360 degree circle by even numbers. It can also have the rotary dial replaces at will with dividing plates. Then as a dividing head it can split hairs when it comes to the break down. A dividing rotary table is the best of both worlds, it can be used as either. I have a 6 inch that does both.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. It did not come with plates but it is advertised on ebay, where I bought it, as a dividing table.

Bob T.

Re: What the heck is a "Dividing" rotatry table?

Bob T.
You're lucky you got the tailstock as they are frequently missing.
Michael

- - - Updated - - -

Bob T.
You're lucky you got the tailstock as they are frequently missing.
Michael

You can get the plates from Grizzly Industrial. Can you post a picture? Sounds like you have a Rotary Table only. Someone didn't know how to advertise it.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you can make your own plate. This is the drilling of the hole pattern. It was later cut out and turned to size.

adyrapa3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

adyrapa3.jpg

On a rotary table the ratio is usually 90:1. On the dividing head it is usually 40:1.

"Billy G"

The three and 4 inch rotaries are usually 72 or 40 to one ratios,. A quick look at the manual will tell you exactly which one that you have. In the dividing and rotary world, more is always better than less because it allows for more accurate placement of a hole or feature. Hope this helps...

Bob

Back