What the Heck are These???

DrNick

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

Got these as part of a package deal. No doumentation in or on the box....what are they? Some sort of adjustable laps?

20140413_132401[1].jpg

20140413_132401[1].jpg

As redirish said, they are expanding mandrels, and they look like they have never been used. There should be a countersink in each end for mounting between centers. You loosen the expanding part fully by sliding it all the way to one end. Then you place the part you want to machine (it has to have a hole in it) over the mandrel, and push the expanding part up until the piece locks in place.

In short, congratulations, it's a good find ;)

You will probably never use them. They just go rusty sitting around in a drawer. Let me look after them for you.............

Cheers Phil

I've found them most useful on an OD grinder. Turning, you need them more pressure than I generally care for, except for finish cuts, perhaps. Even then, the ID must be true and no taper, etc.

Good to find though.

I may be off on this but I bought some stuff from an older gentleman that looked very much like what you have. He said they were for reaming out the top of a hole to countersink flat bottom screws flush with the surface of the piece.
Denton

Hi Guys,

Got these as part of a package deal. No doumentation in or on the box....what are they? Some sort of adjustable laps?

View attachment 74397

Expanding mandrels.. if you have no need of them I will gladly take care of them for you... entente cordial across the pond if you like.. :rubbinghands:

George.

Nice find. If you don't want/need them, I'll be in the Ottawa area in July and might buy them if the price is right. PM me if your interested.

Back