[Newbie] What specification aluminium is the easiest to machine?

Thanks guys, this is a great forum!

I am on the look out for a piece of 6061 or simmilar UK specification. I am lucky in that I live close to several multinational aircraft parts manufactures and they send their scrap to local metal recycling yards. I managed to pick up some nice bar ends in various sizes yesterday, but unfortunatly there were none as big as the 60mm I need so I may have to buy that from a stockist.

Some good advice given on here.... I did use some duck oil which is simmilar to WD40 when I was cutting the bar, which made it easier.

I will post again to let you know how I get on, and I may even post a couple of pictures of my workshop!

How are you squaring up your cutoff tool? It it is not exactly square with the part, you're going to flex as you go in. Also when the tool is sharpened, if it's not square on the end, it will tend to push off a little.

Hi guys,

this is my first post so please be gentle!

I have needed to make some 60mm diameter pulleys which i have already successfully done out of a piece of material I had about the workshop. I have managed to part off in the lathe quite successfully with this material but now its all used up, but I need to make some more!

My problem is other pieces of material I have tried to part off, chatter like hell and I just cant machine them very well.

Question is, what would the specification of the first piece of aluminium be for it to turn so easily? I have had it for years and no idea where it came from or its specification...

If anyone can recommend a suitable alloy I could purchase I would be very grateful. The part I am making is of low stress, low wear, and surface finish is not an issue.

Thanks in advance

You'll probably find Aluminium grade 6082 T6 is commonly available in UK, strong and easy to machine.

If you can't get it locally try eBay.

Regards,

Ted

Thanks guys, this is a great forum!

I am on the look out for a piece of 6061 or simmilar UK specification. I am lucky in that I live close to several multinational aircraft parts manufactures and they send their scrap to local metal recycling yards. I managed to pick up some nice bar ends in various sizes yesterday, but unfortunatly there were none as big as the 60mm I need so I may have to buy that from a stockist.

Some good advice given on here.... I did use some duck oil which is simmilar to WD40 when I was cutting the bar, which made it easier.

I will post again to let you know how I get on, and I may even post a couple of pictures of my workshop!

Don't be shy, post those workshop and what ever other pics you have. Projects or even the shop dog works with us...

Bob

A good place to get info on materials is McMaster-Carr (even though they are persnickity about shipping overseas, and with catalogs, lol.) It talks about how well the different alloys machine, weld, cold form, etc.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and search aluminum spelled without the extra "i". Click on the About Aluminum page. Or try this link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-aluminum/=mph9zf

Btw, 6061 is rated as only "Fair" for machining. They list others that are "Good" (2017, 2024, 4032, 6013, 7050, 7075, MIC-6) and "Excellent" (2007, 2011, 6020, QC-10).

I've had great luck milling and turning lots of 6061 - with a little Tap Magic or oil, even some methyl alcohol just sprayed on. So "Fair" milling quality is just fine imo.

Back