What size wheel does this surface grinder take?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
It is a covel. I believe 6x18. Would this be a 6 or 7” wheel? What about the thickness? That is with the nut flush.

Also I’m sure there’s not a one type fits all but if you were to recommend a single wheel what would it be? I’m trying to sell this surface grinder but toying with the thought of keeping it. I don’t want to put much in to it at the moment. Just enough to make it usable.

Oops. Forgot pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_2663.jpeg
    IMG_2663.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2664.jpeg
    IMG_2664.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2661.jpeg
    IMG_2661.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 40
We have 7 at work, all are 6x18 or 6x12, except the Clausing 12x28.
We use 6 x1/2 wheels on all 6.
Grade depends on what is being ground, except the big grinder.
D2 and M2 eat up any wheel,

We have 7 at work, all are 6x18 or 6x12, except the Clausing 12x28.
We use 6 x1/2 wheels on all 6.
Grade depends on what is being ground, except the big grinder.
D2 and M2 eat up any wheel,
I’ll rephrase that. I have zero experience with surface grinders. What wheels are for what? If there’s many rows types what is the common ones?

I’ll rephrase that. I have zero experience with surface grinders. What wheels are for what? If there’s many rows types what is the common ones?
Like I said , depends on what is being ground.
I have very little experience with them, they are usually already set up when I run them.
I do know that The newer Ruby wheels will not hold up when dressed to .030 thickness.
We make a part that gets 3 .030 slots ground .100 deep, the ruby wheels cannot be dressed to that thickness, they come apart.

looks to be a 7" grinder.
And 7 means 7 and under like Jim said.
A 7" will be a 6 after a number of grinds and dressings. The bigger the wheel the cooler and faster the grind.
Try the open pink or ruby colored stones. I picked up the Radiac, RAA462 stone.. It improved my grinding tremendously.
A good youtube channel for surface grinding is: https://www.youtube.com/@SolidRockMachineShopInc/videos because of his recommendation I tried the pink , and am impressed. I have a slew of white and gray, thin, wide.. The pink it turns out is cooler running because of the open grit.

edit: from ruby to pink, the RAA is a pink RA is a ruby.
1698103314488.png

My shroud has similar dimensions on it and I use 7" wheels when new. Almost all of my wheels are used, though, so many of them are under 6"...

The pink it turns out is cooler running because of the open grit.
My grinding mentour warned me away from ruby stones, but I tried one eventually and was won over right away. He told me it would burn my work, but I never had that problem.

Thanks @woodchucker for the chart!

Back