What Size Vise For Rf30 - 4" Or 6" ?

Here are a couple of pics with it sitting on the mill beside the cheapo vise that came with it. The new one opens to about 4 1/2" and the jaws are 3 7/8" wide. The old one opens to 3 1/2" and the jaws are just under 3 1/2" wide. I did notice that the sliding jaw is very snug until it gets to an opening of about 3 3/4" then it gets a little sloppy. Still not as bad as the old one. The new one also has a 60* thread on the leadscrew, not acme threads. I haven't had a chance to check it for being level or true to the base but will get to that after I finish the wife's hope chest and deal with the motor issue on the mill. Too many hobbies and not enough time.
upload_2016-4-7_14-29-32.png
upload_2016-4-7_14-30-18.png

Here are a couple of pics with it sitting on the mill beside the cheapo vise that came with it. The new one opens to about 4 1/2" and the jaws are 3 7/8" wide. The old one opens to 3 1/2" and the jaws are just under 3 1/2" wide. I did notice that the sliding jaw is very snug until it gets to an opening of about 3 3/4" then it gets a little sloppy. Still not as bad as the old one. The new one also has a 60* thread on the leadscrew, not acme threads. I haven't had a chance to check it for being level or true to the base but will get to that after I finish the wife's hope chest and deal with the motor issue on the mill. Too many hobbies and not enough time.
View attachment 126574
View attachment 126575

Looks like a nice vise. If you need to clamp a part larger than 4-1/2" you can mount the jaws on the outboard ends of the vise.

Tom S.

It looks good. I'm on way to city tomorrow. Will stop in kms for sure. I think I'm sold on same one. I have seen many people take the swivel base off and mount vice directly to mill for more rigidity.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Looks like a nice vise. If you need to clamp a part larger than 4-1/2" you can mount the jaws on the outboard ends of the vise.

Tom S.

I'll be darned ......... now I know why the threaded holes for the jaws go all the way through. Thanks for that info.

It looks good. I'm on way to city tomorrow. Will stop in kms for sure. I think I'm sold on same one. I have seen many people take the swivel base off and mount vice directly to mill for more rigidity.
Jack

If they have the 5", take a look at it and see what you think for size. In any case how can you go wrong for $100 and now knowing bigger pieces can be mounted in it by moving the jaws, the vise just got bigger.:)

John

Got the 4". Next size up I believe was 6" for twice the cost. 4 is good enough. It does hit column when the swivel is removed. Took mine apart. The adjustment screw will take out all the movement in the jaw.
Jack

Got the 4". Next size up I believe was 6" for twice the cost. 4 is good enough. It does hit column when the swivel is removed. Took mine apart. The adjustment screw will take out all the movement in the jaw.
Jack

Thanks for the tip about the adjustment screw and good luck with the new vise. I still haven't had a chance to use mine. Too many other things on the go right now.

Learned something new today! I have a Chinese 4" swivel base from Enco, really happy with it, It also overhangs my table.
Have a good day!
Ray

there are some pics of the shars 6 on my page or posts. to big but wanted a 6 opening. has not been a problem yet. I would incert some pics here but can,t figure out how.

there are some pics of the shars 6 on my page or posts. to big but wanted a 6 opening. has not been a problem yet. I would incert some pics here but can,t figure out how.

I just copy and paste to insert pics. Start a reply, then open another tab to go to your pics, select the pic you want to insert and hit copy, then go to your reply window and insert it. There's probably better ways but this works for me.

Their precision 4" has a 6" opening.

Back