What size pulley should I use with DC treadmill motor?

once i complete this mod it will bring my countershaft speed down from 900 rpm to a more reasonable 450, not the 275 mine should be but better than over 3 times the speed, that should in turn raise the torque available.
I was originally planning to machine the V groove on the original setup, however my engine mount stops me getting a tool to the material in the correct orientation to do this, so I had to dismount it, turn it around and hold it by the boss, this of course allows the whole plate to sing to me while machining, slowing down to my current slowest speed using back gears does reduce this, but I am still getting chatter, never mind - its just a vee for a pulley, it doesnt have to be pretty too.
once i complete this mod it will bring my countershaft speed down from 900 rpm to a more reasonable 450, not the 275 mine should be but better than over 3 times the speed, that should in turn raise the torque available.
I was originally planning to machine the V groove on the original setup, however my engine mount stops me getting a tool to the material in the correct orientation to do this, so I had to dismount it, turn it around and hold it by the boss, this of course allows the whole plate to sing to me while machining, slowing down to my current slowest speed using back gears does reduce this, but I am still getting chatter, never mind - its just a vee for a pulley, it doesnt have to be pretty too.
I did have question about the motor heating up. I noticed after running it for about >15min it did get hot to touch. Does your motor get hot ? How are you keeping it cool? Should I be concerned at all or am I worrying for nothing. . ?

mine does occasionally get warm to the touch when running for extended periods under load (ie when doing heavy cuts), but I am running a 3/4 hp single phase ac motor that has a speed of 1400 rpm at UK standard voltage (230V). mine does have a built in fan inside the motor shroud, that i suppose is for cooling.

I did have question about the motor heating up. I noticed after running it for about >15min it did get hot to touch. Does your motor get hot ? How are you keeping it cool? Should I be concerned at all or am I worrying for nothing. . ?
add a fan. It can't hurt. If you can add a fan to the motor shaft. If not add a small computer pancake fan.. AC high cfm fan..

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I just installed a serp belt when I did the felts on my 1947 C.

that's a pretty darn cool set up - are those gas struts to tension the spindle belt? I don't have any problems with a serpentine belt (poly-v) on my SB wide 9 with the v's against the pulley.

when you say your motor failed, what happened? did it just stop working or did it slow down over time? Was the casing hot to the touch when it stopped?

that's a pretty darn cool set up - are those gas struts to tension the spindle belt? I don't have any problems with a serpentine belt (poly-v) on my SB wide 9 with the v's against the pulley.

when you say your motor failed, what happened? did it just stop working or did it slow down over time? Was the casing hot to the touch when it stopped?
@mattthemuppet2 Yeah. I used gassed struts. I was not sure they would work but so far so good. Will look at other options in the future.

the motor started sparking after about an hour of running and turning on and off. It was really hot. I tried letting it cool down for about 15 to 20 min it would continue to spark and shutdown.

@mattthemuppet2 Yeah. I used gassed struts. I was not sure they would work but so far so good. Will look at other options in the future.

the motor started sparking after about an hour of running and turning on and off. It was really hot. I tried letting it cool down for about 15 to 20 min it would continue to spark and shutdown.
how are you powering the motor? I had a friend who toasted a treadmill motor on his 2x72 belt sander - he managed to blow through over half the brushes before it finally conked out. How about belt tension from motor to countershaft? Don't want that too high either.

Back