What size drill rod do I need?

When I was trying to put a girder front end on a chopper I had picked up a set of 14" over girders off a Triumph. The links and the neck bolt were made of 12L14 from what I could tell. I tried replacing them with drill rod but was unsuccesful. At the time i was trying to thread with a 1/2 x 20 die and 7/8 x 14 die. Broke them both, two sets, and finally gave up on it. That was before i had the lathe. For a shifter linkage i would think 1018 crs would do just fine and be easier to work.

When I was trying to put a girder front end on a chopper I had picked up a set of 14" over girders off a Triumph. The links and the neck bolt were made of 12L14 from what I could tell. I tried replacing them with drill rod but was unsuccesful. At the time i was trying to thread with a 1/2 x 20 die and 7/8 x 14 die. Broke them both, two sets, and finally gave up on it. That was before i had the lathe. For a shifter linkage i would think 1018 crs would do just fine and be easier to work.

More than likely true but I ordered some 304 SS that I'll single point. Won't have to worry about powdercoating then. Should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply,

Dale

Back