What size drill rod do I need?

drs23

Active User
Registered
I've got an order for a custom shifter linkage. Before doing the custom bends for this custom bike I need to thread it to 5/16 - 24. Do I need to start with 5/16 drill rod or a larger size and turn it? If so what size to buy and what size to turn it to for threading?

Last question, I promise :)), where would be the best place to source the drill rod?

Thanks,

Dale

5/16 is the major diameter of 5/16-24 so that will be fine. But how many and how sharp are the bends it's easy to have enough flex to feel mushy. May want to consider tubing internally threaded for the ends.

I've bought drill rod from WT Tool (www.wttool.com) They have the best prices and a great selection. If you register with them and put the item in your cart and not check out, you will get an email from them for 5% off within 24 hours.

Or, you can go to www.retailmenot.com and put in wttool.com in their search bar. Any discounts will appear. Works for any website giving discounts.

Last edited:
Enco probably has the best price on drill rod, especially if you can use one of their discount codes (I think there is a 15% off offer going on now).

Any particular reason you chose drill rod? Are you planning to harden it afterwards?

Actually Enco has both 15% off AND free shipping with no minimum order until Friday.

Dick

Actually Enco has both 15% off AND free shipping with no minimum order until Friday.

Dick

Dadgummit!:angry: I just paid for shipping from WTC. Sure wish I'd seen this first! Oh well, live-N- learn I guess. :whistle:

- - - Updated - - -

Enco probably has the best price on drill rod, especially if you can use one of their discount codes (I think there is a 15% off offer going on now).

Any particular reason you chose drill rod? Are you planning to harden it afterwards?

I guess I went with it because I read about it so much here, it's ground to size and it's cheap (shipping isn't though!) Not really planning on hardening it. More than likely just powdercoat. Chrome if the owner wants to spring for it.

What other choices would have been superior that I could have chosen for $3.06?

Other choices could have been 1144, 4140, or a stainless like 303/304. For a linkage, you probably care more about stiffness than strength, and the stiffness of any steel is going to be more or less the same. The only differences that you may care about are harden-ability, machinability, and corrosion resistance.

What kind of drill rod did you go for?

I just made one for a customer the other day.
It was a redo from about a year ago, it was very rusty.
The new one is S.S.

Other choices could have been 1144, 4140, or a stainless like 303/304. For a linkage, you probably care more about stiffness than strength, and the stiffness of any steel is going to be more or less the same. The only differences that you may care about are harden-ability, machinability, and corrosion resistance.

What kind of drill rod did you go for?

Not exactly sure what "kind of drill rod" I went with. I don't recall it mentioning any specs. Displays my lack of knowledge for sure.

Yes, stiffness is the key here, as well as machinability. Out of the stainless steels listed which would you or others recommend? If I use stainless I won't have to worry about powdercoating it.

I just made one for a customer the other day.
It was a redo from about a year ago, it was very rusty.
The new one is S.S.

That's what I'm leaning toward now, see above. What SS material did you use?

Thanks again guys.

Back