what size cutting tools

cheap carbide tipped things from China that I have, have to grind each one before using them

I am going to take a guess here, that you possibly purchased triangular HSS tips and not carbide?

There are some sellers who will state carbide on cheaper HSS which is very misleading, either due to confusions in translations, or they choose to be unscrupulous in order to sell to hobbyists new to lathes who simply do not know better.

Though to be honest, HSS blanks tend to work out better for mini-lathes anyhow. Carbide is more of a production use, for very rigid machinery.

It would be nice to give us the lathe model you are trying to tool up, at least for curiosity reasons. And unless you are wayyyy off center, as mentioned, shimming should be able to help out there.

thanks for the good advice here will get a quick tool holder and see if that helps I believe it should and will get some better quality tools to mill with thanks again

I would say that a QCTP is the most beneficial addition that you can do to a small lathe. It instantly doubles the rigidity and removes all of the mystery and frustration from basic parting, facing, boring, and getting accurate tool heights. If purchasing an OXA size holder, the imports are great, just stay away from the cheapo aluminum body ones.

Back